Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 01:35:35

ldd

How do you create a launcher from a folder with spaces?

I want to make a launcher app on my panel but the directory's name has spaces in it. '\ ' or quoting the whole directory don't work. Is there any workaround?

#2 2018-03-21 18:01:47

MountainDewManiac

Re: How do you create a launcher from a folder with spaces?

Might be a bug. Have you tried this?

https://github.com/albertlauncher/albert/issues/451

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-03-22 00:07:22

alcornoqui

Let me clarify, you want a launcher that opens your file manager in a particular folder?

When you create an empty launcher, you have two options "Add one or more existing elements to the launcher" and "Add a new element", both should work, but the second is more work, as you have to manually fill all the parameters, pick an icon, etc.

Picking the first option, you just choose Thunar (or your preferred file manager) from the existing elements list (you can filter it), and the desktop file will be copied with name, commentary, command and icon.

The only thing left then is changing the working directory through the file picker so that it opens in your preferred location, spaces in folder names shouldn't matter.

Sorry if I misunderstood...

#4 2018-04-01 17:47:46

ldd

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Might be a bug. Have you tried this?

https://github.com/albertlauncher/albert/issues/451

Regards,
MDM

Thanks, that worked.

#5 2018-04-01 17:49:24

ldd

alcornoqui wrote:

Let me clarify, you want a launcher that opens your file manager in a particular folder?

When you create an empty launcher, you have two options "Add one or more existing elements to the launcher" and "Add a new element", both should work, but the second is more work, as you have to manually fill all the parameters, pick an icon, etc.

Picking the first option, you just choose Thunar (or your preferred file manager) from the existing elements list (you can filter it), and the desktop file will be copied with name, commentary, command and icon.

The only thing left then is changing the working directory through the file picker so that it opens in your preferred location, spaces in folder names shouldn't matter.

Sorry if I misunderstood...

No it's a problem with the command reading spaces as a separator when it's supposed to be a folder's name with spaces in it (i.e. Program Files)

Board footer