Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 16:36:45

netllama

Function keys do nothing to control brightness/volume

Hello,
I recently upgraded a Fedora Linux system (on an old Macbook9,2) from Fedora24 all the way up to Fedora27 (doing each release at a time, not skipping).  Starting with Fedora25, none of the Mac's "special" function keys do anything. I'm referring to F1 & F2 for adjusting backlight, F11 & F12 for adjusting volume, etc.  If I log out of XFCE, and into Gnome (using Xorg), then the all of the function keys work again as expected.  I also created a brand new test user, and the same problem exists for that new test user (using the default new XFCE config).  So its definitely something with XFCE. 

I'm using:

* Fedora 27
* XFCE 4.12.4
* Xorg 1.19.6
* kernel 4.15.17-300.fc27.x86_64

Let me know what other info I can provide to help debugging this.

thanks!

#2 2018-04-21 18:41:10

MountainDewManiac

Re: Function keys do nothing to control brightness/volume

Does this web page help?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/121395/on-an-apple-keyboard-under-linux-how-do-i-make-the-function-keys-work-without-t

The person there was trying to change those keys to have a different behavior than what you're trying to achieve, but it lists the values for all three possibilities.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-04-21 20:53:55

netllama

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Does this web page help?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/121395/on-an-apple-keyboard-under-linux-how-do-i-make-the-function-keys-work-without-t

The person there was trying to change those keys to have a different behavior than what you're trying to achieve, but it lists the values for all three possibilities.

Regards,
MDM

Aren't those changes going to impact the entire OS?  My problem only exists in XFCE.  Works fine in Gnome.

#4 2018-04-21 23:02:26

alcornoqui

I wonder if this is related. This answer says:

To control screen brightness and manage sleep on Macbook pro running fedora 25 workstation, you need to patch kernel

The[se are the] steps you need to take to apply a patch to a kernel module. In this example we’ll use the brightness key patch from this bug

... then follows with the steps to patch it. But if you look at the bug report, the good news is the patch has landed in mainline kernel v4.16-rc1 a couple months ago.

#5 2018-04-21 23:13:38

netllama

alcornoqui wrote:

I wonder if this is related. This answer says:

To control screen brightness and manage sleep on Macbook pro running fedora 25 workstation, you need to patch kernel

The[se are the] steps you need to take to apply a patch to a kernel module. In this example we’ll use the brightness key patch from this bug

... then follows with the steps to patch it. But if you look at the bug report, the good news is the patch has landed in mainline kernel v4.16-rc1 a couple months ago.

I don't think that's my problem, as screen brightness control works just fine in Gnome.  Its only XFCE where it doesn't work.  Also, I can adjust brightness using xfce4-power-manager.

#6 2018-04-21 23:52:29

alcornoqui

#7 2018-04-22 00:12:22

netllama

alcornoqui wrote:

Unfortunately not.  That thread seems to say that xfce4-power-manager does not work for them.  It works fine for me, its just the function keys which do not work for me.

#8 2018-04-22 10:23:34

ToZ
Administrator

1. What version of the power manager are you running and do you have "handle-brightness-keys" enabled? Can you post back:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv

2. Does xbacklight work for you?

3. How many backlight interfaces does your system expose?

ls /sys/class/backlight

4. As for the media keys, are you running pulseaudio and do you have installed and enabled xfce4-volumed (or xfce4-volumed-pulse)?

ps -ef | grep volumed

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#9 2018-04-22 18:27:44

netllama

ToZ wrote:

1. What version of the power manager are you running and do you have "handle-brightness-keys" enabled? Can you post back:

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch                  0
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch-restore-on-exit  1
/xfce4-power-manager/hibernate-button-action            3
/xfce4-power-manager/power-button-action                3
/xfce4-power-manager/show-tray-icon                     true
/xfce4-power-manager/sleep-button-action                3
ToZ wrote:

2. Does xbacklight work for you?

No errors, but it doesn't seem to do anything either.

ToZ wrote:

3. How many backlight interfaces does your system expose?

ls /sys/class/backlight
$ ls /sys/class/backlight
gmux_backlight  intel_backlight
ToZ wrote:

4. As for the media keys, are you running pulseaudio and do you have installed and enabled xfce4-volumed (or xfce4-volumed-pulse)?

ps -ef | grep volumed

Yes, I'm using pulseaudio.  I'm not using xfce4-volumed or xfce4-volumed-pulse.

thanks!

#10 2018-04-22 18:41:38

ToZ
Administrator

Brightness key:
What version of xfce4-power-manager are you running?

Run the following command to create the handle-brightness-keys property and set it to true:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys --create -t bool -s true

...and see if the brightness keys work.

Volume Keys:
Are you using xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin?

Fire up xfce4-volumed-pulse and see if the volume keys work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#11 2018-04-22 20:21:23

netllama

ToZ wrote:

Brightness key:
What version of xfce4-power-manager are you running?

xfce4-power-manager-1.6.1-1.fc27.x86_64

ToZ wrote:

Run the following command to create the handle-brightness-keys property and set it to true:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys --create -t bool -s true

...and see if the brightness keys work.

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv
/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-ac                        8
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-level-on-ac             100
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-on-battery              15
/xfce4-power-manager/critical-power-action              4
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-enabled                       true
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off                     60
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep                   28
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-off                4
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-sleep              2
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery   1
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-ac                   0
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-battery              1
/xfce4-power-manager/lock-screen-suspend-hibernate      false
/xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode                  false

No change, the function keys still do not do anything.

ToZ wrote:

Volume Keys:
Are you using xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin?

Fire up xfce4-volumed-pulse and see if the volume keys work.

I have a process:

/usr/lib64/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib64/xfce4/panel/plugins/libpulseaudio-plugin.so 17 10485805 pulseaudio PulseAudio Plugin Adjust the audio volume of the PulseAudio sound system

I don't have an xfce4-volumed-pulse at all.  I do have /usr/bin/xfce4-volumed.  Is that different?  Anyway, i ran xfce4-volumed, but the F10, F11 & F12 volume adjustment keys still aren't doing anything.

#12 2018-04-23 00:23:50

ToZ
Administrator

The handle-brightness-keys property wasn't created. That is strange. Did you get an error message?

Try it through xfce4-settings-editor.:
1. Select the xfce4-power-manager channel.
2. Click the "New" button and set:
   - Property = /xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys
   - Type = Boolean
   - Value = True
3. It should show up in the list and should also become visible with the xfconf-query command above.

As for the volumed, yes, they are different. xfce4-volumed-pulse is for pulseaudio equipped systems. But first, since you have the pulseaudio-plugin installed, make sure "Enable keyboard shortcuts for volume control" checkbox is checked. If that doesn't work, uninstall/or kill the xfce4-volumed process and install/start xfce4-volumed-pulse. Log out and back in again and test.

#13 2018-04-23 01:37:12

netllama

ToZ wrote:

The handle-brightness-keys property wasn't created. That is strange. Did you get an error message?

Try it through xfce4-settings-editor.:
1. Select the xfce4-power-manager channel.
2. Click the "New" button and set:
   - Property = /xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys
   - Type = Boolean
   - Value = True
3. It should show up in the list and should also become visible with the xfconf-query command above.

/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-ac                        8
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-level-on-ac             100
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-on-battery              15
/xfce4-power-manager/critical-power-action              4
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-enabled                       true
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off                     60
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep                   28
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-off                4
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-sleep              2
/xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys             true
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery   1
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-ac                   0
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-battery              1
/xfce4-power-manager/lock-screen-suspend-hibernate      false
/xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode                  false
ToZ wrote:

As for the volumed, yes, they are different. xfce4-volumed-pulse is for pulseaudio equipped systems. But first, since you have the pulseaudio-plugin installed, make sure "Enable keyboard shortcuts for volume control" checkbox is checked. If that doesn't work, uninstall/or kill the xfce4-volumed process and install/start xfce4-volumed-pulse. Log out and back in again and test.

Yes, "Enable keyboard shortcuts for volume control"  is already checked.

#14 2018-04-23 02:03:57

ToZ
Administrator

I'm guessing that adding the "handle-brightness-keys" didn't help.

Lets get some debug info and see what happens. First quit xfce4-power-manager:

xfce4-power-manager -q

...then start it up in debug mode:

xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

Press the brightness keys and post back all of the output (including everything from the beginning of the debug statement).

#15 2018-04-23 02:42:35

netllama

ToZ wrote:

I'm guessing that adding the "handle-brightness-keys" didn't help.

Lets get some debug info and see what happens. First quit xfce4-power-manager:

xfce4-power-manager -q

...then start it up in debug mode:

xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

Press the brightness keys and post back all of the output (including everything from the beginning of the debug statement).

$ xfce4-power-manager  --no-daemon --debug

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.PowerManagement': no such name

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.PowerManager': no such name

TRACE[xfpm-main.c:205] xfpm_start(): Starting the power manager

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to connect to session manager : Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for general-notification
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for critical-power-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for show-brightness-popup
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-level-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-slider-min-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-sleep-mode
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for network-manager-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-power-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-suspend-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-hibernate-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-lid-switch
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for heartbeat-command

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2523: signal 'Changed' is invalid for instance '0x5623c3a5e1f0' of type 'GDBusProxy'
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:287] xfpm_polkit_init_data(): Using unix session polkit subject
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.power-off', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.power-off is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.reboot', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:936] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:898] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'line-power' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:936] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:898] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'battery' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:908] xfpm_power_add_device(): Battery device type 'battery' detected at: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 124 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_POWER_OFF)

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 213 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_HIBERNATE)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 150 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_SLEEP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 233 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 232 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 244 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_BATTERY)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 238 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 237 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:213] xfpm_power_check_polkit_auth(): using logind suspend backend
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 9327>, 'start-time': <uint64 1654093>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1446] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1446] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1446] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 8
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:645] xfpm_manager_inhibit_sleep_systemd(): Inhibiting systemd sleep: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit systemd sleep: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Permission denied

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: could not get output property

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: It seems the kernel brightness switch handling value was not restored properly on exit last time, xfce4-power-manager will try to restore it this time.
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to set the kernel brightness switch parameter to 0.
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:256] xfpm_backlight_brightness_on_ac_settings_changed(): Alarm on ac timeout changed 9
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:277] xfpm_backlight_brightness_on_battery_settings_changed(): Alarm on battery timeout changed 15

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: could not get output property

(xfce4-power-manager:9327): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: ../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:815: invalid property id 2 for "show-panel-label" of type 'GParamInt' in 'PowerManagerButton'
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:749] xfpm_manager_show_tray_icon(): Showing tray icon
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 20, upower_icon battery-full-charged-symbolic
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 10, upower_icon ac-adapter-symbolic
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 20, upower_icon battery-full-charged-symbolic
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:723] xfpm_manager_tray_update_icon(): updating icon
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:707] xfpm_manager_tray_update_tooltip(): updating tooltip
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: (xfpm-brightness.c:517):xfpm_brightness_helper_down: runtime check failed: (xfpm_brightness_helper_set_level (brightness, set_level))

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: xfpm_brightness_helper_down did not change the hw level to 28539
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:369] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: (xfpm-brightness.c:517):xfpm_brightness_helper_down: runtime check failed: (xfpm_brightness_helper_set_level (brightness, set_level))

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: xfpm_brightness_helper_down did not change the hw level to 28539
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:369] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: (xfpm-brightness.c:477):xfpm_brightness_helper_up: runtime check failed: (xfpm_brightness_helper_set_level (brightness, set_level))

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: xfpm_brightness_helper_up did not change the hw level to 45001
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:369] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: (xfpm-brightness.c:477):xfpm_brightness_helper_up: runtime check failed: (xfpm_brightness_helper_set_level (brightness, set_level))

** (xfce4-power-manager:9327): WARNING **: xfpm_brightness_helper_up did not change the hw level to 45001
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:369] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)

TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:244] xfpm_polkit_free_data(): Destroying Polkit data

#16 2018-04-23 03:03:52

ToZ
Administrator

What happens when you do the following:

xfpm-power-backlight-helper --get-brightness

...then:

pkexec /usr/bin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness <VALUE>

...where <VALUE> is a number much less than what was returned by get-brightness (so you can see it change). Though I think you will get an error.

Which polkit agent are you using?

ps -ef | grep polkit

#17 2018-04-23 03:10:21

netllama

ToZ wrote:

What happens when you do the following:

xfpm-power-backlight-helper --get-brightness
$ xfpm-power-backlight-helper --get-brightness
ToZ wrote:

...then:

pkexec /usr/bin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness <VALUE>

...where <VALUE> is a number much less than what was returned by get-brightness (so you can see it change). Though I think you will get an error.

$ pkexec xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 26770

ToZ wrote:

Which polkit agent are you using?

ps -ef | grep polkit
$ ps -ef | grep polkit
polkitd    858     1  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
david     1553  1443  0 15:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/xfce-polkit

#18 2018-04-23 10:40:27

ToZ
Administrator

I noticed you omiitted the path when you ran pkexec - it's required. Try the command again:

pkexec /usr/bin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 26770

xfce4-power-manager uses pkexec (policykit) to execute commands which require root privileges. There seems to be something amiss with your configuration. Both the policykit daemon and agent are running on your system but they are erroring out.

Have a look at your auth.log file (most probably in /var/log) to see if there is any extra info displayed when you try to run the pkexec command.

Edit: Looks like fedora has that file in /usr/sbin, so the command would be:

pkexec /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 26770

Last edited by ToZ (2018-04-23 14:24:44)

#19 2018-04-23 11:20:20

MountainDewManiac

netllama wrote:
MountainDewManiac wrote:

Does this web page help?

Regards,
MDM

Aren't those changes going to impact the entire OS?  My problem only exists in XFCE.  Works fine in Gnome.

Does that mean you didn't make sure that your setting is correct (of the three possibilities) for what you wish to do, lol? It is possible that the GNOME developers created some sort of workaround for an improper setting. The same, I'd guess, for an unpatched kernel (or one not new enough to already have that incorporated into it as standard), so I'd check that, too, afterwards.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#20 2018-04-24 00:21:26

netllama

ToZ wrote:

I noticed you omiitted the path when you ran pkexec - it's required. Try the command again:

pkexec /usr/bin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 26770

xfce4-power-manager uses pkexec (policykit) to execute commands which require root privileges. There seems to be something amiss with your configuration. Both the policykit daemon and agent are running on your system but they are erroring out.

Have a look at your auth.log file (most probably in /var/log) to see if there is any extra info displayed when you try to run the pkexec command.

Edit: Looks like fedora has that file in /usr/sbin, so the command would be:

pkexec /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness 26770

Oops.  When I fixed the path, the command actually worked (it adjusted the brightness).  There was no output from the command.

#21 2018-04-25 00:19:24

ToZ
Administrator

There was a recent post with a very similar problem but on a gentoo system. I'm not sure what the problem is other than it appears that there is an issue with your policykit setup. I will try to test this on my laptop if I get some free time, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure what the actual issue is or what the resolution is. The power manager is doing what it is supposed to do, but the message to actually change the brightness is getting blocked.

As for the voume controls, try uninstalling xfce4-volumed and installing xfce4-volumed-pulse. Restart and see if that helps.

#22 2018-04-25 00:32:58

netllama

ToZ wrote:

There was a recent post with a very similar problem but on a gentoo system. I'm not sure what the problem is other than it appears that there is an issue with your policykit setup. I will try to test this on my laptop if I get some free time, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure what the actual issue is or what the resolution is. The power manager is doing what it is supposed to do, but the message to actually change the brightness is getting blocked.

But doesn't the fact that the

pkexec /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper --set-brightness

worked mean that policykit is ok?

#23 2018-04-25 00:47:57

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, if run through your session in a terminal window. But there is something about the way that xfce4-power-manager is being run that isn't using your dbus session (I'm guessing a bit here) properly or something.

Are you using the fedora default display manager to log in? What is that display manager?

#24 2018-04-25 00:48:56

netllama

I'm using lightdm as the display manager.  But its the Fedora official package.

#25 2018-04-25 01:34:45

ToZ
Administrator

I downloaded the latest fedora xfce spin and booted my laptop with it. The brightness keys worked and I didn't get the "not authorized" error message. So there is something off with your config. (If you can, download the latest ISO and boot with it to see if it works for you).

Can you post back the contents of /usr/share/polkit.d/actions/org.xfce.power?

Also the contents of ~/.xsession-errors on a fresh login to see if there is anything there.

Board footer