Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-01 17:45:40

Tokujin

Thunar - selection is lost after copying/moving files

Hello,
I really like Thunar but to use it as my default file manager I need it to "remember" which files were selected after I move them.
For instance, say I have two files 'file1' and 'file2' in a directory 'Dir', if I move those files to the parent directory, the directory from where I came from (Dir) stays selected and the files get lost in the list of files already in the parent directory.
(Pic)
Instead, I'd like it to keep the files selected
(Pic)
Is it possible to do it?

#2 2018-05-02 00:38:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar - selection is lost after copying/moving files

Hello and welcome.

We were just discussing a similar inconsistency in this thread. The author, SoerenB, created a bug report. You could add your info to his report because they both seem to be about incorrect or inaccurate highlighting of files after a move.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-05-02 08:27:56

Tokujin

I don't know, other file managers behave like Thunar (PCManFM, for instance). I wouldn't say it's an inconsistency or a bug.

I think there is a wrong behaviour in the bug you've linked and it lies in the fact that 'tobeDeleted.txt' wasn't really involved in any operation and gets selected just because it was next to the file that was moved. What happens in my case is that
1) Inside 'Dir', I select the files and choose to cut them;
2) I move to the parent directory, and when I do so 'Dir' is selected, all right;
3) Paste the files. Now, in Nautilus the files would get selected and 'Dir' would be deselected, so that I'm ready to do another operation on the same selection of files (like making links, or copying). In Thunar instead, 'Dir' stays selected and the files are "lost" among the others that were already in the parent directory. I wouldn't say this is unexpected, it is just less practical, in my opinion.

[Edit: clarification]

Last edited by Tokujin (2018-05-02 09:37:23)

#4 2018-05-02 09:28:42

MountainDewManiac

Didn't Thunar once behave like that? Maybe that's what ToZ meant by a similar inconsistency, lol?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2018-05-02 10:27:34

ToZ
Administrator

Yeah, by related I mean that the fix will probably be the same for both issues - to clean up the post move selection highlights.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2018-05-02 13:55:37

Tokujin

I've added a link to this thread and a quick explanation on the bug report.

Board footer