Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-17 04:12:42

spiritualcramp

How to change xfce's desktop right click menu?

I'm talking about the menu that appears when you right click in your desktop (not the one that lets you launch applications).
To be exact, it's this menu:

https://u.teknik.io/3JhEa.png

Besides of it not having the "open terminal here" entry, I also would like to add more entries. Is there any way to do it?

I am *not talking* about this menu: https://u.teknik.io/5UY81.png (thunar's right click menu). Also, notice that even though I have set custom thunar entries, they don't appear in desktop's right click menu.

#2 2018-06-17 04:20:29

spiritualcramp

Re: How to change xfce's desktop right click menu?

Just noticed this thread:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=12259

I am using thunar 1.8.1-1 and xfdesktop 4.12.4-2 (Arch). Could that be the problem?

#3 2018-06-17 09:53:03

ToZ
Administrator

Yes. xfdesktop 4.13.2 was just released - not sure when it will be available in Arch's official repositories. Note that this new version is GTK3-based. If you want to try it out, you can install xfdesktop-git from the AUR.

This version of xfdesktop supports thunar's new thunarx extensions, so you will get custom actions appearing in that menu again. However, that is all that you will be able to change in the menu - just adding or removing custom actions. The other items are not customizeable.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-06-19 01:07:11

spiritualcramp

Thanks for the reply.

I see, I thought I had broken something, but thankfully I was wrong.
Already tried installing xfdesktop-git, but it seems that it has dependency problems. Probably it's because it depends on libxfce4ui and not libxfce4ui-git, but I'll see if I can manage to install it.

Edit: libxfce4ui-git gave me this error when installing:

CCLD     libxfce4ui-1.la
GISCAN   libxfce4ui-2.0.gir
Couldn't find include 'libxfce4util-1.0.gir' (search path: '['.', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/local/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0']')
make[3]: *** [/usr/share/gobject-introspection-1.0/Makefile.introspection:160: libxfce4ui-2.0.gir] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yay/libxfce4ui-git/src/libxfce4ui/libxfce4ui'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:856: all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yay/libxfce4ui-git/src/libxfce4ui/libxfce4ui'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:541: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yay/libxfce4ui-git/src/libxfce4ui'
make: *** [Makefile:473: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().

Used yay  to install it, so every dependency was satisfied before compilation.

Last edited by spiritualcramp (2018-06-19 01:12:56)

#5 2018-06-19 03:11:05

ToZ
Administrator

We are in that weird place where everything is changing (pretty quickly) - including the version of the dependencies. To fix this particular issue, you will also need to upgrade libxfce4util to libxfce4util-git.

Note that you are introducing a lot of new development (pre-release) packages into your environment and this may introduce a whole lot of breakage. I'm not sure how they are packaged, but you may need to frequently manually re-install them to get the latest git changes to keep them and the rest of the chain up to date.

To revert back, simply reinstall libxfce4util, libxfce4ui and xfdesktop from the main respositories.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer