Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-03 00:20:46

memeplex

NetworkManager applet icon too small

Hi all, I'm using xfce with papyrus adapta icons, here are the versions:

xfce4-panel-gtk3 4.13.3-2 (xfce4-gtk3)
papirus-icon-theme 20180601-1

Everything looks ok in the systray except for the nm-applet icon, which is way too small.

Take a look at the screenshot:

https://imagebin.ca/v/47LucbgrJHKx

Do you know what could be happening? The icon provided by papirus is a svg image in many different sizes (16, 22, 24, ...). Using the Adwaita icon theme also makes nm-applet icon smaller than the others.

Thanks!

#2 2018-07-03 00:42:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: NetworkManager applet icon too small

Is that inside the Notification Area (systray) plugin?
If so, does changing the "Maximum Icon Size" setting in Notification Area properties help?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-07-03 04:02:52

memeplex

It's in the systray, yes, and I'd already tried changing the maximum icon size and other settings before posting. It does help to some extent but the nm icon is always ill sized wrt the others and I have to make systray icons way bigger than the applet icons to get something reasonably homogeneous inside the systray. I've also tried toggling square-icons and show-frame to no avail.

#4 2018-07-03 10:52:40

ToZ
Administrator

Do you have any content in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css? It might affect the panel.

When I change my icon theme to Adwaita, the icon size is fine (xfce4-panel ver: 4.13.3)

Edit: What is the size of your panel? Does changing the panel size help?

Last edited by ToZ (2018-07-03 10:55:59)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-07-03 15:34:53

memeplex

Yeah, I've already tried all kinds of tweaks, not just now, but along the years, trying to get xfce panel elements homogeneously aligned and sized, to no avail. This time I was closer to perfection, as you can see, but the nm applet ruined it all smile

Here is a screenshot from Cinnamon panel. The network icon is for an applet, not a systray element, but nevertheless it comes from the same icon set.

https://imagebin.ca/v/47QNaHrmGdQZ

#6 2018-07-03 16:35:41

ToZ
Administrator

Hmm. I can't replicate this on my system. Can you tell me which Appearance theme you are using?

Also, can you post any content that you might have in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css. I'll see if I can replicate it with your setup.

Which distro are you using?

#7 2018-07-03 18:01:44

memeplex

For widgets and windows I tried Adapta Nokto Eta, Adapta Nokto, Adapta Nokto Eta Maia, Adapta Nokto Maia.
Icons are as I've already described.
Nothing in my gtk.css at the time.
This is manjaro, so basically arch linux. The panel version is in the first message of the thread.

Since this is internal to the systray, not an applet, I'm not sure the theme could have such an influence.

#8 2018-07-04 00:44:47

ToZ
Administrator

Hmm. I can replicate the issue using a smaller notification area size but it gets fixed with a larger size (I use Arch).

Theme = Adapta-Nokto
Icons = Papirus

Grab with Notifcation size set to 18:
1.png

Grab with Notifcation size set to 24:
2.png

I can't test this in Manjaro with a wireless icon (I only have VM image), but the regular wired icon works the same way for me.

Can you create a test account and see if you have the same issue there?

#9 2018-07-04 01:57:16

Mellowbob

Is this the same issue I have with Clementine? I find that if I restart the panel (xfce4-panel --restart) my sizing is normalized. And, no, I've not found a solution ... maybe if we both have similar problems a solution will appear smile

#10 2018-07-04 21:03:21

memeplex

The panel height doesn't affect the rendering too much (there are weird effects though, some applets scale themselves others don't).

Now, the notification area max pixel size makes a big difference: when I set it to 16 most icons look well (since this is a standard size), then I increment it to, say, 18 and the network manager icon gets smaller (way smaller indeed)!!! Going up to, say, 22 or 24 things look a bit saner again.

It seems to me the notification area icon rescaling implementation is not doing it woo well.

I always found getting the panel spacing and alignment right one of the most frustrating aspects of xfce4. It's not that many panels get it perfectly right, but xfce4 panel is probably the weakest in this aspect, and the fine tuning is pure arcana.

The square option of the notification area (I think it's a new option, isn't it?) helps making the area more similar to the applets around it but still a spacing option is missing because gtk3 themes tend to change the space between applets but obviously not between icons in the systray.

#11 2018-07-04 21:25:37

memeplex

I've reported a couple of issues regarding the above:

* https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14516
* https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14517

Btw @ToZ I see you're using the "hardcoded" dropbox icon which is of a different color than the others. Since you're using arch you can try my package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/adap … box-icons/ that converts dropbox adapta icon svgs to png so that they're picked up by dropbox.

#12 2018-07-05 02:36:46

ToZ
Administrator

memeplex wrote:

Thanks for reporting.

Btw @ToZ I see you're using the "hardcoded" dropbox icon which is of a different color than the others. Since you're using arch you can try my package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/adap … box-icons/ that converts dropbox adapta icon svgs to png so that they're picked up by dropbox.

All of those white icons are hard-coded (I use the genmon-plugin to manage that info). I changed the icon theme to yours to see the effect it would have on the notification area. I have seen your AUR package though (I use it in a VM Arch install), and it works well. Thanks.

Board footer