Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-12 10:11:06

kristiaanb

(Fixed) Disable ALT + F1-F4 combinations

Hello all,
Apologies for potentially asking a question that's been asked hundreds of times previously, i've had a search and cannot find a clear cut answer to what i am looking to-do however.

our set-up
Raspian Stretch Lite (image from the raspberry website) with a vanilla installation of XFCE4 over the top.

we are building a kiosk style system from this for our users that would allow them to run an RDP short cut and nothing else, so far the build has progressed really well and all is working fine. however during some testing to ensure the system is secure we found that the ALT F1 - F4 short cuts generate context / pop-up menus that would allow the users to run items they shouldn't have access too.

My question is how do I permanently disable these keys via XFCE4's configuration, Ideally i'd like to-do this via terminal as we've already locked the desktop down so using the standard GUI tools is not possible.

Kind regards,
Kristiaan.

Last edited by kristiaanb (2018-07-16 07:03:16)

#2 2018-07-12 12:29:07

Spass

Re: (Fixed) Disable ALT + F1-F4 combinations

Hello and welcome. You can probably do it using xfconf-query commands. See more info here: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/xfconf-query

So for example this commands will list all the shortcuts for you (second one will list only the custom ones):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -l -v
xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p /commands/custom -l -v

And you can reset / remove a specific shortcut with this command (for example Alt+F2):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p '/commands/custom/<Alt>F2' -r -R

#3 2018-07-16 07:02:42

kristiaanb

Re: (Fixed) Disable ALT + F1-F4 combinations

Spass wrote:

Hello and welcome. You can probably do it using xfconf-query commands. See more info here: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/xfconf-query

So for example this commands will list all the shortcuts for you (second one will list only the custom ones):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -l -v
xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p /commands/custom -l -v

And you can reset / remove a specific shortcut with this command (for example Alt+F2):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p '/commands/custom/<Alt>F2' -r -R

Hi Spass,
Your suggestions worked like a charm and I've now removed all of the Alt Key combinations that we do not need.

Thank you very much for the reply and the answer to my question.

Kris

Board footer