Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-12 19:55:26

schnappi

New Thunar look (1.8.0-1)

The new look in Thunar is great. Thanks.

#2 2018-06-12 20:53:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: New Thunar look (1.8.0-1)

The new thunar looks similar to the old thunar with some cosmetic changes. Which items/changes are you liking?

For those who haven't seen, here are a couple of dev screenshots:
  Vz2Tmdsl.png
(Greybird theme, menu hidden, pathbar location selector, tree sidepane, detailed list)

tAsQcz4l.png
(Greybird theme, toolbar location selector, shortcuts sidepane, icon list)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-06-14 07:03:07

tsimpkin

Thunar has always been the best file handling application out there and this just makes it look real tidy too, cool. I'm just looking at your screen shots  have they improved the thumbnails visibility? Thankyou to the devs that have worked to make Thunar the great application it is.

#4 2018-06-14 10:26:40

ToZ
Administrator

tsimpkin wrote:

I'm just looking at your screen shots  have they improved the thumbnails visibility?

For the most part, thumbnails (tumbler) have stayed the same. The big addition (or re-addition) is the ability to create your own thumbnail readers via /usr/sharethumbnailers, so we can now once again create our own custom thumbnailers for whatever filetypes we want.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-07-25 19:33:01

schnappi

Just saw replies (apparently did not subscribe or get email). What liked about the new design is the larger icons on the left pane and the destination bar on the top. Overall the changes made Thunar look more modern.

#6 2018-07-28 15:57:06

onkelho

looks like modern, but
- i will colored buttons in icon-style back, how i can get the older button-imaging?
Please !?

#7 2018-07-28 18:28:00

ToZ
Administrator

onkelho wrote:

looks like modern, but
- i will colored buttons in icon-style back, how i can get the older button-imaging?
Please !?

If you are referring to the toolbar icons for back, forward, up and home, you can add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.thunar {
-gtk-icon-style: regular;
}

You will also need an icon theme that has coloured versions of these icons (like elementary-xfce).

#8 2018-07-29 08:45:34

onkelho

ToZ wrote:
onkelho wrote:

looks like modern, but
Please !?

If you are referring to the toolbar icons for back, forward, up and home, you can add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.thunar {
-gtk-icon-style: regular;
}

You will also need an icon theme that has coloured versions of these icons (like elementary-xfce).

You are so great, THANK YOU!

#9 2018-08-05 00:23:34

John_Jason_Jordan

I have Thunar 1.6.11 on Xubuntu 16.04. Is there a way to get the new version without a dist-upgrade?

Linguistics on Linux!

#10 2018-08-05 11:00:32

schnappi

Recommend switching to a distribution called “Antergos” which is a user-friendly version of Arch that can run Xfce without any configuration.

#11 2018-08-05 19:23:40

John_Jason_Jordan

schnappi wrote:

Recommend switching to a distribution called “Antergos” which is a user-friendly version of Arch that can run Xfce without any configuration.

If I stick with Ubuntu I can't get it until 18.10, but I never dist-upgrade except to the LTS versions, so that means I can't get it for years. The last time I did a fresh install it took nearly a full week of labor to get all my applications installed and everything configured. Not that it normally takes a long time to install an app, but I have dozens and dozens of weird apps that sometimes took a lot of web searching to figure out how to get them installed.

In consideration of the above I installed Nautilus and configured it the way I want it. It took over an hour of web searching to figure out how to make it my default file manager on Xfce, but it's now done. Thunar is still installed, of course, because I understand it is tied pretty deeply to Xfce and who knows, I may want to use it sometime. Here are some kvetches that I have about Thunar that Nautilus relieves:

1. I have an external 16TB USB drive (two disks) that I use a lot, and a 16TB NAS that serves as its backup. Every time I access the USB drive with Thunar the drive lights flash furiously with the low rumble of drives thrashing for about two solid minutes, and in the meantime Thunar can't display anything. Once it finishes Thunar is OK, unless I don't access the drive for ten minutes or more, and then I have to wait again. This never happens with Nautilus. This will probably save me half an hour every day.

2. There is a bug in Thunar where deleting a file causes the display to jump to a completely different location, so now I have to scroll back to where the deleted file was. (I documented this the forum.) Needless to say, this does not happen in Nautilus.

3. Thunar has a right-click option labeled 'Send to' (which is really 'copy to'), but I have long wished that I had a 'Move to' option as well. Nautilus has both, and properly labeled too.

Some of these issues may have been fixed in the new version, which is why I was so anxious to add it.

Regarding #1 above, for years this has bugged the heck out of me, but I assumed that the drive always had to be refreshed so it would happen regardless of which file manager I used. If I had known that it was exclusively a Thunar problem I would have moved on a long time ago. I have used Xfce for years and I love it, but not Thunar.

Linguistics on Linux!

#12 2018-08-06 07:08:36

MountainDewManiac

John_Jason_Jordan wrote:

3. Thunar has a right-click option labeled 'Send to' (which is really 'copy to'), but I have long wished that I had a 'Move to' option as well. Nautilus has both, and properly labeled too.

You seem happy with Nautilus, but in case you switch back to Thunar in the future (and for others' potential use), you can easily add "Move to" to Thunar's right-click menu - along with many other things. See this link for a large list of possibilities:
http://dquinton.github.io/debian-instal … nar.html#3

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#13 2018-08-06 09:41:18

Spass

Thanks for the link MDM, these two Custom Actions work great:

cp %F "`yad --file --directory --height=500 --width=800 --title=Copy\ to...`"
mv %F "`yad --file --directory --height=500 --width=800 --title=Move\ to...`"

I just needed to install yad package.