Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-11 02:36:27

erroneum

Feature Request

Sorry if this isn't the best place to put this; I didn't look extensively. I'm running XFCE 4.12 and have a few things I am either bothered by or would like to see available, but I'm not actually good enough at coding right now to directly contribute.

Probably the most directly impactful to daily use would be if there was (at least an option for) more than the one pixel at the edge of a window to resize a window.

Another thing that I'd find helpful, or at least convenient, is if when dragging a window in a multi-monitor setup to an edge on the same side as two monitors meet (such as when two monitors have different heights) the pointer would snap to the closest pixel on the other monitor rather than keep hitting the side until there was a pixel where it was trying to move.

A simple cosmetic change I'd find preferable would be if, when using window shadows, the shadow is not cast when the edge of a window is snapped to the edge of a screen/monitor, especially when maximized.

And finally for the system load monitor widget: It'd be nice to be able to add extra graphs with custom commands which simply return a value in a given range (0-1, 0-255, some custom range, etc) and have that value displayed. This would make it easier to show other kind of loads to items of interest such as disk/network throughput, load from a particular application, or maybe even how far though a timer or song you are.

#2 2018-08-11 08:25:56

ozjd
Website

Re: Feature Request

The best place to make a feature request is https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ and mark it as a request for enhancement.

To resize a window use alt + right click and drag it. There are some themes that have larger edges too.

I understand that multiple monitor configuration is being improved for 4.14.

#3 2018-08-11 09:54:50

MountainDewManiac

ozjd wrote:

There are some themes that have larger edges too.

Yes. In a very real way, the user kind of decides on the width of the window borders (to an extent) by the theme he/she chooses. Most distros (all of the ones I've tried) have at least a few choices pre-installed, and websites like https://www.xfce-look.org/ will have a lot more. It might be nice if this fact were made clearer to new users to Xfce (and all the other DEs, for that matter), I suppose.

Xfce-Look wrote:

XFCE/XFWM4 Themes 954
GTK2 Themes 3738
GTK3 Themes 1006
Beryl/Emerald Themes 1819
Compiz Themes 306
Cursors 869
Icon Themes 1282
XFCE Screenshots 169
Wallpapers XFCE/Xubuntu 175

There is also the possibility of creating a theme from scratch, or of modifying one of the ones that already exist. Not my cup of tea, but it can be done.

erroneum wrote:

And finally for the system load monitor widget: It'd be nice to be able to add extra graphs with custom commands which simply return a value in a given range (0-1, 0-255, some custom range, etc) and have that value displayed. This would make it easier to show other kind of loads to items of interest such as disk/network throughput, load from a particular application, or maybe even how far though a timer or song you are.

This is a wild guess on my part, because I've never used it. But I've read statements to the fact that "a person can do many things with Conky." You might consider asking someone who uses it if you could achieve that functionality with some kind of Conky script.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2018-08-11 18:59:05

ToZ
Administrator

This would make it easier to show other kind of loads to items of interest such as disk/network throughput, load from a particular application, or maybe even how far though a timer or song you are.

You can use the genmon plugin to create a simple bar graphic that fills in based on the percentage set.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer