Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-23 17:24:38

PyGreen

How to transfer theme XFCE from Linux Lite to Xubuntu

Hello!

I have a machine with Xubuntu. There is Linux Lite on other. I want install theme XFCE on Xubuntu as like Linux Lite.

How to do it?

#2 2018-08-23 19:34:37

alcornoqui

Re: How to transfer theme XFCE from Linux Lite to Xubuntu

I think you have to copy the corresponding folder from /usr/share/themes/ in your Linux Lite machine, and paste it, as admin, in the same folder in the Xubuntu one.

Log out & log in, then pick the new theme in Settings > Appearance.

But I've never done it myself... Try and tell us (and of course, if someone can confirm or correct my hunch, please do it!)

edited to add: I guess I should have said that very possibly the theme you want is included in Xubuntu, through the packages gtk2-engines-xfce and gtk3-engines-xfce.

Last edited by alcornoqui (2018-08-23 19:41:52)

#3 2018-08-23 19:40:09

Spass

PyGreen, not sure if I understand you correctly. You want your Xubuntu to look like Linux Lite? Linux Lite is using Adapta theme now from what I know. You can add this PPA to you system (very frequent updates) and install "adapta-gtk-theme" package, or just download and install this DEB package.

Linux Lite was using Arc before (again, if I recall correctly) and you can also install it in Xubuntu using "sudo apt install arc-theme".

You can then choose your preferred style in "Appearance" settings and window borders in "Window Manager" settings.

#4 2018-08-23 19:44:44

alcornoqui

Hi Spass.

Thanks for the info, didn't even look and went directly for the "raw" method. Hey PyGreen, do that instead of what I said!

#5 2018-08-25 16:39:11

mint4all

Greetings!

Imhe, all the foregoing ways should work for you. However, i'd like to suggest a simpler method, as follows:

1) on your Linux Lite system, locate the theme you are using in the /usr/share/themes folder
2) copy the entire folder of your chosen theme (including all its subfolders and files) to a usb-stick
3) unplug the usb-stick and plug into your xubuntu system
4) on your xubuntu system, create a .themes folder in your home folder
5) copy your chosen theme's folder from the usb-stick into your new .themes folder

Now the new theme will show up in your apparance and window-manager settings. There's one gotcha: if your chosen theme contains symlinks to other themes on your Linux Lite system (i.e. "my-fave-darker" may be linked to "my-fave") those links will be broken/not work on your xubuntu system. Therefore, they would have to be re-created on your xubuntu system (provided the parent theme was installed first).

Btw: the foregoing method works as well with icon-themes/-sets by creating a new .icons folder on your xubuntu system, then gleaning icons off your Linux Lite's /usr/share/icons folder.

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer