Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-21 18:17:56

RooBale

How to install Shell Extensions on Xfce ?

How can install shell extension on Xfce . Extension option not in Gnome toolkit .

#2 2018-08-22 02:20:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to install Shell Extensions on Xfce ?

Hello and welcome.

If you are talking about gnome extensions, you can't. They are dependent on gnome panel (or gnome shell), not sure which is which.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-08-25 08:16:21

RooBale

Then how can i install extension on xfce session.

#4 2018-08-25 08:32:34

Spass

RooBale, what do you want to install exactly? Because if you're asking about GNOME Extensions, ToZ clearly wrote that you can't install those in Xfce. But maybe the functionality that you're looking for is accessible in other way (application or panel plugin). So please be more specific.

#5 2018-08-26 06:44:22

RooBale

i want to install a plugin/add on that will show the battery percentage on the top of the panel. as i am new in xfce  now i find difficulty to install many software.

#6 2018-08-26 07:25:05

ozjd
Website

RooBale wrote:

i want to install a plugin/add on that will show the battery percentage on the top of the panel. as i am new in xfce  now i find difficulty to install many software.

The battery monitor panel plugin does that. You can select in the plugin properties what information, including percentage, you want to see. How you install it will depend on the distro you use but look for a package named xfce4-battery-plugin or similar.

#7 2018-08-26 07:54:52

RooBale

i am using xfce4 in Debian 9

#8 2018-08-26 16:23:42

mint4all

Greetings!

Afaik, the xfce4 desktop comes with 2 panel-plugins (aka "extensions") that might meet your needs: the "xfce4-battery-plugin" and the "xfce4-power-manager". Both can be used to monitor your laptop's battery. You can check easily if either package is installed.

Simply open a terminal (aka "Command") window, then type "apt-cache policy xfce4-battery-plugin" (w/o the quotes) and press enter. This will tell you if it is installed. If yes, then you can add it easily to your panel. If not, we'll tell you how to install it. Note: you can repeat the same command with "xfce4-power-manager". Let us know how it goes.

Cheers, M4A

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#9 2018-08-26 20:04:22

RooBale

"apt-cache policy xfce4-battery-plugin"

After this command output  :

xfce4-battery-plugin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.1.0-1
  Version table:
     1.1.0-1 500
        500 http://mirror.dhakacom.com/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

#10 2018-08-26 20:26:41

mint4all

Thanks!

You have, at a minimum, 2 ways to install missing/desired packages: using a package manager (i.e. "synaptic"), or by executing an install command in a terminal window.

On my system, the simplest way would be to use the pre-installed package manager. Steps: Whisker Menu > System Category > scroll for "Synaptic Package Manager" > select it > enter your root pwd > search for the package you want/need > right-click on the package > select "install" option > click "Apply" in the menu-bar. Note: on your system (i don't know how Debian 9 is configured) you may have some other package manager installed, so you'll need to explore it a bit, but the essentially all work the same way...

In any event, your system being Debian 9, and mine being a Debian-derived distro (Debian > Ubuntu > Mint), the following command should work: "sudo apt-get install xfce4-battery-plugin" (w/o the quotes). Just enter your root pwd when prompted (note: will not be displayed) then follow the remaining prompts.

If you're familiar with adding plugins/extensions to the panel, then go right ahead and add the battery monitor. If not familiar, or hesitant, please let us know.

Cheers, M4A

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#11 2018-08-26 20:53:06

RooBale

i installed Debian 9 with Gnome Desktop environment then i install xfce desktop environment .

in xfce session the Synaptic Package Manager not working, if click it is not open or i get any response .but in gnome session it work fine.

when i tried use you command it output like :,

[sudo] password for rubel:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
xfce4-battery-plugin is already the newest version (1.1.0-1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  fonts-linuxlibertine fonts-sil-gentium fonts-sil-gentium-basic hyphen-en-us
  libbsh-java libjsoncpp1 libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-us
  libreoffice-librelogo libreoffice-nlpsolver libreoffice-ogltrans
  libreoffice-pdfimport libreoffice-script-provider-bsh
  libreoffice-script-provider-js libreoffice-script-provider-python
  libreoffice-wiki-publisher mythes-en-us
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

--------
but when i going to add item on launcher properties , there is no item name battery-plugin or similar

#12 2018-08-26 22:14:06

alcornoqui

- Right-click the panel > Add New Items
- Do not add a generic launcher here, look for the Battery Monitor
- Right-click plugin > Properties for the properties dialog

#13 2018-08-27 06:44:22

RooBale

Thank you all.Problem is solved now

Board footer