Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 21:40:08

mint4all

[Solved] Create "Link"-type launcher(s)

Xfce's desktop manager (?) provides for the creation of URL-/link-type launchers on the desktop (Desktop > right click > Create URL link {option} > Create link {entry popup} ).

However, xfce's panel only supports the creation of program-type launchers (Panel > right click > Panel {option } > Add new items ... {option} > Add new items {selection list} > Launcher {item} > Add {button} ), but does NOT provide for the creation of new URL-/link-type launchers.

Despite the foregoing disability, I was able to create a launcher containing multiple URLs by way of dragging URL-/link-type launchers from the desktop and dropping them into a launcher that already exists on the panel, as the following screenshot shows ...
Link-Launcher.png
I found out that even though the panel does not allow for the creation of such link-launchers, it does properly display the edit popup needed to modify an existing link.

Is there some hidden feature in xfce4-panel that supports the creation of new link-type launchers, or is the foregoing drag-n-drop workaround (desktop ==> panel-launcher) the only way to get it done? I have a large collection of URLs i'd like to organize in launcher-/menu-like fashion (thus not having to rely upon my web-browser's bookmarking features), and the above create-on-desktop + drag-n-drop on panel-launcher method is just very time-consuming & cumbersome. Consequently, it would be great to have the panel duplicate what the desktop already provides for ...

Last edited by mint4all (2018-11-07 23:54:40)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#2 2018-11-06 02:28:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Create "Link"-type launcher(s)

Hmm. That is a weird idiosyncrasy with xfce4-panel. Maybe a bug report is in order. However, you can use  exo-open in a regular launcher command to launch links:

exo-open --launch WebBrowser https://www.xfce.org

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-11-07 23:52:20

mint4all

Thanks! I am aware, and have tested, the 2 "exo-open" options; and as well have tested command lines with explicitly naming my browser. But i'd like to become -- somewhat -- "browser-agnostic" if possible. So the link-type launcher option is very appealing to me. And Xfce (unlike the other main DEs) just so happens to offer a neat solution ...

Much to my surprise, i just noticed that the panel's {Edit}Launcher popup offers just what i've been looking for: in its right-click context menu, as you can see, the whole suite of launcher-edit tools is being offered up:
Link-Creation.png
Sooo  (duh!) i've answered my own question, and will flag it as "Solved". Thanks, anyway, for looking into this for me!

Cheers, m4a

Last edited by mint4all (2018-11-07 23:53:49)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2018-11-08 01:03:01

ToZ
Administrator

Nice catch. I've created an enhancement request to add a button for this option. It's the only one missing from the context menu.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer