Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-28 17:03:02

Friedrich

Edit "Open with" Applications in Thunar

Hi,

when using dolphin i can edit th elist of applications when i click on the "open with" context menu by edit the file ~/.config/mimeapps.list (NOT ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list). But this doesn't work with thunar. it seems thunar is doing something with that file because when i open the file in geany, open a file and the go back to geany i have the message that the file was changed - but nothing really changed. in that file i can edit the default application for a mime type, but not the list in the open with context menu.

what i want is a list of applications in that list and no other apps. how can i do this?

friedrich

#2 2018-11-28 22:37:22

ozjd
Website

Re: Edit "Open with" Applications in Thunar

You could try editing that file when Xfce isn't running.

#3 2018-11-29 17:42:04

mint4all

Friedrich wrote:

Hi,
... it seems thunar is doing something with that file because when i open the file in geany, open a file and the go back to geany i have the message that the file was changed - but nothing really changed. ...

what i want is a list of applications in that list and no other apps. how can i do this?
friedrich

Greetings, Friedrich --

Just a minor item of note: whenever you ACCESS a file on a linux partition (much like MS' ntfs), that file's extended attributes are being updated. In your example, the file's "Accessed" {date} is being updated, as well as the userid of who accessed it (if other than owner), and possibly some other extended attributes that could exist for a file. Geany is smart enough to detect that access.

Re. adding to thunar's "Open With" {list of apps} ... The simplest way i found was to => highlight the file > right-click > highlight "Open With" choice > select/click the "Open With Other Application ..." choice > thenuse the "Open With" popup to first select and then set the default app of your choice. Ime, that's the easy way; tweaking a file's mime-type settings is possible, too, but a lot more work and -- possibly -- can make a mess of things ("been there - done that" myself).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2018-12-01 08:35:18

Friedrich

ozjd wrote:

You could try editing that file when Xfce isn't running.

Doesn't work. In that file i have

[Added Associations]
text/plain=geany.desktop;mousepad.desktop;

but the open-with-list is 1.) mousepad 2.) libre office writer 3.) aegisub

Re. adding to thunar's "Open With" {list of apps} ... The simplest way i found was to => highlight the file > right-click > highlight "Open With" choice > select/click the "Open With Other Application ..." choice > thenuse the "Open With" popup to first select and then set the default app of your choice.

But this doesn't change the open-with-list. This makes nothing with the list.

The only thing that works is to delete a wrong application. i tried to open a text file with audacity (audio editor), after restart thunar audacity was at the top of the open with list and at the first position in mimeapps.list. deleting audacity from the mimeapps.list and restarting thunar works to delete audacity from the list but there still other useless applications in the list that are not in the mimeapps.list.

There must be something more where thunar gets information about appilcations in the open-with-list.

Board footer