Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-02 12:04:36

uid3s1gn3r

How can i clone my customized xfce4 panel to another computer?

OK after almost an hour of modifications on my xfce4 panel, i am very satisfied with the result. And here is the BIG question. How can i clone/copy my customized panel to my wife's computer or any other computer? Hope i can do that somehow as it will save me a lot of work on any new installation. Could you point me on the right direction of how to do that ?
I would appreciate a step by step guide as i m new in xfce DE. Thank you

#2 2018-12-02 13:12:11

Jerry3904

Re: How can i clone my customized xfce4 panel to another computer?

I think you can just copy this file:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

But there may be something in addition...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2018-12-02 13:21:22

uid3s1gn3r

Jerry3904 wrote:

I think you can just copy this file:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

But there may be something in addition...

Thanks i will try wink

#4 2018-12-02 14:37:04

ToZ
Administrator

xfce4-panel-profiles (formerly xfpanel-switch) allows you to back up and restore panel configurations.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-12-03 15:12:53

uid3s1gn3r

ToZ wrote:

xfce4-panel-profiles (formerly xfpanel-switch) allows you to back up and restore panel configurations.

How can i install it to my computer ??
I m on a Mint XFCE machine.

#6 2018-12-03 16:52:30

mint4all

uid3s1gn3r wrote:
ToZ wrote:

How can i install it to my computer ??
I m on a Mint XFCE machine.

Greetings!

Simply open your synaptic package manager, look for "xfpanel-switch", then select it for installation, "apply" your selection, and tahdah -- installed. I did this yesterday on my LM18.3 systems because i rely on heavily-customized panels and needed this feature before it becomes standard {or so i hope} in the upgrade to LM19.1 ...

Tested and works like a charm smile

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#7 2018-12-06 14:00:50

uid3s1gn3r

mint4all wrote:

Greetings!

Simply open your synaptic package manager, look for "xfpanel-switch", then select it for installation, "apply" your selection, and tahdah -- installed. I did this yesterday on my LM18.3 systems because i rely on heavily-customized panels and needed this feature before it becomes standard {or so i hope} in the upgrade to LM19.1 ...

Tested and works like a charm smile

Cheers, m4a

Thank you, i will itry it immediately smile

Last edited by uid3s1gn3r (2018-12-06 14:01:29)

#8 2022-08-09 16:23:12

tortilla

Hi,

I have found xfpanel-switch in the Synaptic package management - the name is left in the column "All" and when marking "xfpanel-switch" the right column remains empty. I assume that there are no known packages with this name in Synaptic. I did some research - the solution https://docs.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-panel-profiles/4.16/ was  developed as "a simple application to manage Xfce panel layouts. ... formerly known as xfpanel-switch" I'm just not sure - does the package xfce4-panel-profiles only manage the layout or is there also a way to save and restore the menu items?

Last edited by tortilla (2022-08-09 16:27:30)

#9 2022-08-09 16:48:40

KBar

Hello.

xfpanel-switch is discontinued. xfce4-panel-profiles is its successor. It exports and imports your panel's Xfconf settings, which includes layout, positioning, panel preferences, items and item preferences so long as their back-end is Xfconf. As long as all plug-ins (configuration of which was exported initially) are installed on your new system, it will import everything properly. For example, if you had xfce4-xkb-plugin in the export, you're gonna have to install it on your new system manually for it to appear on the panel and restore its configuration.

In short, it only exports Xfconf properties, .desktop files that may accompany certain panel items (mainly custom launchers, or Exo launchers) and whiskermenu.rc file if the defaults were changed. It cannot install missing plug-ins and packages for you; this task is out of its scope. Configuration is exported to a compressed archive with a bunch of members in it, with config.txt containing all panel properties.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer