Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-12 12:31:14

memes

Change size of (start) menu and window icons

Hi there,

I’m having some troubles increasing the size of my (start) menu and window icons. I’ ve found that those icons should be changed by editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine however any changes here have no effect. I’m on armbian and are using the blackbird theme.

There are numerous topics on problems like these, I have tried many of the proposed solutions they however all seem to have no effect. I’m actually wondering that for some reason no changes to the gtkrc-2.0.mine file are taken into account. The .gtkrc-2.0 file however points out that changes in the.mine file should be taken into account...

I’ve made a screenshot of my desktop, I hope this wil clarify my problems. Thank you in advance.
Link to imgur image

Last edited by memes (2019-01-12 12:44:11)

#2 2019-01-12 12:39:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Change size of (start) menu and window icons

Hello and welcome.

First, please do not use google drive images - they require an account to view. Instead use something like imgur or imgbb.

I’m on armbian and are using the blackbird theme.

What version of xfce4-panel are you running?

xfce4-panel -V

...the 4.13x series now uses gtk3.

I’m actually wondering that for some reason no changes to the gtkrc-2.0.mine file are taken into account. The .gtkrc-2.0 file however points out that changes in the.mine file should be taken into account...

Can we see the contents of both and the changes that you made?

I’m having some troubles increasing the size of my (start) menu and window icons.

Perhaps this is already identified in the image, but can you be more specific about which actual plugin you are using as your start menu (whisker menu, applications menu, application-finder) and what you mean when you say "window icons" (window buttons, xfwm4 decorations, etc)?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-12 13:07:17

memes

Hi there I have the following outputs:

xfce4-panel 4.12.1 (Xfce 4.12)
Copyright (c) 2004-2011
The Xfce development team. All rights reserved.
Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

and:

DO NOT EDIT! This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance. # Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine instead.
include "/home/padeem/.gtkrc-2.0.mine" gtk-theme-name="Blackbird" gtk-icon-theme-name="elementaryXubuntu-dark" gtk-font-name="Sans 28"
gtk-cursor-theme-size=18 gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH_HORIZ gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1 gtk-enable-event-sounds=1 gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=1 gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1 gtk-xft-hintstyle="hintslight" gtk-xft-rgba="rgb"

for the mine file i have tries numerous imputs. My latest one is:

gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-menu=22,22:gtk-button=22,22:panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-directory-menu=24,24:directorymenu-button=22,22:panel-window-menu=32,32"

I’ve changed the google drive image to imgur. The icons I mean are identified there, I don’t know their actual name, hence the image smile

thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance.

#4 2019-01-12 13:45:05

ToZ
Administrator

What screen resolution are you running?
gtk-icon-sizes no longer works in GTK2 - I believe GTK changed something.

In your image you have identified the applications menu, thunar sidepane and toolbar icons, and window manager decorations.

• applications menu - as mentioned above, a GTK "change"

• thunar - go to Edit > Preferences > Side Pane and change the "Tree Pane" icon size.
    For the toolbar, can you post back:

xfconf-query -c thunar -lv

• Window decorations - you can use another Window Manager theme that has bigger decorations (there should be a couple of HiDPI ones in Settings Manager > Window Manager or examples), or create your own.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2019-01-12 15:33:38

memes

Hi there!

Thanx for the fast reply (again)!

I have a screen resolution of 2732x2048 (the resolution of my 12,9 inch tablet wich i VNC from).

Applications menu: So does this mean I can’ t change this in any way?
Thunar: Unfortunatly there is no Side Pane nor Tree Pane anywhere in ine menu.
Thunar2:

/last-icon-view-zoom-level THUNAR_ZOOM_LEVEL_NORMAL
/last-seperator-position 170
/last-view ThunarIconView

Window decorations: Thank you, as long if the proifile is all dark im fine with it smile

Thanx!

#6 2019-01-12 22:43:42

ToZ
Administrator

memes wrote:

I have a screen resolution of 2732x2048 (the resolution of my 12,9 inch tablet wich i VNC from).

This will be the root of your problem. GTK2 does not support HiDPI devices. Support is being introduced into the upcoming version of Xfce (which is based on GTK3 and GTK3 supports HiDPI, but you will have to wait for it.

Applications menu: So does this mean I can’ t change this in any way?

I'm sorry but it doesn't look like you can. Have a look at the whickermenu-plugin - it allows you to resize the icons from it's Properties.

Thunar: Unfortunatly there is no Side Pane nor Tree Pane anywhere in ine menu.

It's in the Properties dialog:
Screenshot-2019-01-12-17-39-46.png

#7 2019-01-12 23:12:49

memes

hi there toz,

Well nice to know the HiDPI is coming up! Any idea when that will be?
I’ll have a look at whickermenu thank you!
Unfortunately the side pane really isn’t there smile
Weirdy enough...

Thank you for the help today, very kind!

#8 2019-01-13 00:47:51

ToZ
Administrator

memes wrote:

Well nice to know the HiDPI is coming up! Any idea when that will be?

With the release of version 4.14. Hopefully this year.

Unfortunately the side pane really isn’t there smile
Weirdy enough...

That's not Thunar. Not sure which file manager you are using, but you'll need to look into it's documentation to find out if its possible and how.

Board footer