Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-28 21:38:56

nixIT

dual monitor position

Hello gang,

I have a dual monitor setup, My primary monitor is 24" and secondary monitor is 20". The secondary monitor is positioned to the left of my primary display due to space constraints.

Is there a way in the setup to have both monitors active and the primary monitor be the 24" monitor? I seem to not get the results I want. Currently within the montior settings, I have my 20" monitor positioned below my 24", this is not ideal because I have to remember to move down to get to the second display.

does this make sense?

thanx

--nixIT

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#2 2019-01-15 00:31:31

alcornoqui

Re: dual monitor position

You can do it in Settings > Display, did you try there?

display-multi.png

You can drag and drop the displays to your liking and select the primary monitor. More details in the docs.

#3 2019-10-02 19:18:15

nixIT

Hello, my distro finally got the new XFCE display, and unfortunately, I still cannot position my secondary monitor to the left of my primary display. When I do all my icons and panels move to the monitor on the left. so in your example, swap the position of the Ancor Communications monitor and laptop. My Ancor is the primary and  on the right.

I did position them with the ancor on the right and Dell on the left. and when I did, the panels and desktop icons moved to the Dell monitor which is the secondary monitor on the left. I could position the panels to the Arcor monitor on the right, but all my icons are still on the left side monitor, and all applications open on th left monitor, even though the primary display is set to be on the right.

does this make sense?

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#4 2019-10-02 21:21:34

nixIT

Ok, I've been messing with this, and I think I have everything appearing on the primary monitor...except some applications still open on the secondary monitor when active.

If I disable the secondary monitor, at first when the desktop reconfigures, all the windows that were open on the primary display all of a sudden get pushed off the right side of the screen, and all I can see is the border, which gives me enough to resize the window so I can drag it back to the primary display.

I also create two profiles under Advanced. one of primary and one for dual displays. I assumed when I enable the secondary monitor, the dual display profile should kick it, however, my secondary monitor always reverts to right of primary display. is there a way to keep it on the left?

thanx!

#5 2019-10-04 03:12:53

nixIT

It appears that my profiles aren't working properly, or I haven't set them up correctly.

I don't need dual monitors often, I only enable my 2nd monitor when needed. Problems are two fold:

when I disable the second monitor, my primary flickers and all all the windows I had open on the primary monitor are pushed all the way off the right of the screen, I can barely grab the window border to expand the window so I can drag it back into view. is there a way to have the windows on the primary display stay where they are when I turn off my secondary monitor?

second issue is, I have two profiles set up under Display/Advanced. the profiles are "single" and "dual", I would assume that if I only had primary monitor enabled, the single profile would be active, and when I enable the secondary display, the dual profile will become active. Should the dual profile become active when I enable the monitor? I have Configure new displays when connected and Automatically enable profiles when new display is connected turned.

cheers,

--nixIT

Board footer