Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-10 19:15:33

tpape

Make default menu... default

Hello there !
I'm working on a xfce "template" in the school i'm working on, and after few hour spend on this issue I finally decided to ask...
So, I set up my "default" app menu and I want to make it default, for all users.
Can you help me ?

This is the correct menu :
correct menu

And this is what I get after login with another account :
Other menu

PS : On the correct menu, I can't get rid of the "No application found" on the lowest line, do you have any about why is it here and how I can remove it ?

Many thanks !
Thomas

#2 2019-01-10 21:21:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Make default menu... default

Hello and welcome.

The default menu is located in /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu. When you edit a menu, it creates a copy in your $HOME/.config/menus directory and edits that one. If you want your changes to take effect for everyone, you'll need to copy your edited menu to /etc/xdg/menus (and make sure no-one is using a custom menu).  Also, depending on what changes you made to the menu, you may need to copy over some other files.

PS : On the correct menu, I can't get rid of the "No application found" on the lowest line, do you have any about why is it here and how I can remove it ?

You will have to post your $HOME/.confg/menus/xfce-applications.menu file so that we can have a look and see.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-15 12:49:10

tpape

Thanks for your answer.

So, I tried to change my two menu files (/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu and ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu) with a default one (unchanged since a clean install) and the menu still has my modifications. How is it possible ? I can't find in which file are stored the user's modifications...

#4 2019-01-15 12:52:47

tpape

And here is my xfce-applications.menu :

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>
    <Name>Xfce</Name>

<DefaultAppDirs/>
    <DefaultDirectoryDirs/>

<Menu>
        <Name>Accessories</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-accessories.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Utility</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Development</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-development.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Development</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Games</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-games.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Game</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Network</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-network.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Network</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

</Menu>

Last edited by tpape (2019-01-15 13:14:49)

#5 2019-01-15 23:33:18

ToZ
Administrator

Your menu file works fine here when copied to a user account:
menu.png

How did you or what tool did you use to change your menu file? There may be other content in the ~/.config/menus folder that is being used. What does the following return:

ls -al ~/.config/menus

As for making it the default template for all users, it depends on your distro. Most distros use /etc/xdg. Some, like Xubuntu, use /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu. For normal distros, to make it the default for all users, you must:

• replace the xfce-applications.menu file in /etc/xdg/menus with your custom version

• all of .desktop files ( in ~/.local/share/applications or ~/.config/menus/applications-merged) that were used to create this menu must also be moved to a central location (usually /usr/share/applications)

• for new users, this menu will be used

• for existing users, you must delete any existing content in ~/.config/menus so that it doesn't override it

Reference documentation located here: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ … c-1.0.html

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2019-01-21 13:43:48

tpape

All right, after mixing everything i succeed to have a default menu working for everybody. I put my files on /etc/xdg/xfce4 so they are now the default files for new users.
But I have a new problem, with the panels this time. I will post it here but maybe I should open a new thread ?

I customize a panel, add few launchers.
First I try to copy my ~/.config/xfce4 files to every new users by using a script I put in /etc/profile, but it seems only to work when the user login by a terminal, and not a X session. Except this issue, it worked.
Then I moved the file to /etc/xdg/xfce4 so they will be loaded as default xfce session for new users. But now I have a big issue : the panel looks great, but all the launchers are 'empty'.
I tried few things and I figured out that the file used to configure the launchers is .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml but the behaviour is pretty disturbing : when I update my panel (by adding a launcher), this file is updated with the new launcher, but when I manually edit this file (by replacing it with an older version), the launcher is still visible on my panel (even after a logout/login).
I also saw that the actual configuration for launchers is located on ~/.config/xfce4/panel...

Do you have any idea about that ?

Last edited by tpape (2019-01-21 13:54:44)

#7 2019-01-21 23:36:17

ToZ
Administrator

Have a look at xfce4-panel-profiles (formerly xfpanel-switch). You can save (export) existing configurations:

xfce4-panel-profiles save MyPanelConfigs

...then on another account you can restore that configuration:

xfce4-panel-profiles load MyPanelConfigs

It will save and restore the whole configuration - including the actual launchers. Plus, you can script this - though it does need to run under the profile of the user to set up.

#8 2019-01-22 12:08:51

tpape

Thanks ! But... I only have xfce4-panel with a "save" option, but can't find any "load" ...

#9 2019-01-22 13:43:02

ToZ
Administrator

It's not xfce4-panel, but rather xfce4-panel-profiles (a different package). This package used to be known as xfpanel-switch, but was recently merged into the Xfce repositories and renamed.

Which distro are you using? Do you have xfce4-panel-profiles or xfpanel-switch in your repositories? For more info, see: https://bluesabre.org/2018/07/28/xfce4- … -released/.

#10 2019-01-22 13:50:10

tpape

I'm using Raspbian (Debian for ARM architecture), but I can't find any of this packages on my repo. I'll look for it deeper.

#11 2022-08-11 14:18:20

tortilla

Hi,

wo wird die Konfiguration "MyPanelConfigs" gespeichert?

Thank you

#12 2022-08-11 17:49:46

ToZ
Administrator

tortilla wrote:

Hi,

wo wird die Konfiguration "MyPanelConfigs" gespeichert?

Thank you

~/.local/share/xfce4-panel-profiles

#13 2022-08-11 23:29:25

Skaperen

where do i normally go to make my first setting for that?

#14 2022-08-12 01:12:34

ToZ
Administrator

You need to have xfce4-panel-profiles installed. Restart xfce4-panel (or log our and back in again). Right-click on the pane, select Panel Properties and you will get an option to run it.

Or you can just manually run "xfce4-panel-profiles". More info here.

#15 2022-08-12 17:59:52

Skaperen

i do have panel profiles.  but i only see a means to save and restore a bunch of settings.  i have taken the save file apart and do see many settings.  i am wondering where these settings normally are to be set.

#16 2022-08-12 18:23:33

KBar

On import, they are read one by one and written to Xfconf through D-Bus (the whole panel is reset first).

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer