Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 19:30:06

Skaperen

How many other desktop environments ...

how many other desktop environments are there for Xfce to compete (and compare) against?  is there a list of them?

#2 2019-01-16 19:43:39

MountainDewManiac

Re: How many other desktop environments ...

This webpage lists a bunch of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
...as does this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … vironments

It looks like some that are mentioned in the first, are not mentioned in the second (and vice versa). There are undoubtedly more that are not listed in either.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2019-01-16 23:44:12

Skaperen

those 2 seem to provide an adequate list.  the things i have used in the past that i would consider to be peers of Xfce and Unity are in one or the other list, or both.  but Xfce has given me a lot of learning about desktop environments.  my next question is what is it called (instead of Desktop Environment) for the decision process involved in programming?  i know of Qt and GTK (though not much about them).  these are libraries.  is that all a programmer needs to decide on, or is there more?  i have a couple programming ideas that a GUI things that ultimately need to work at the graphical level.  what decisions do i need to make to get started developing them?

#4 2019-01-17 11:27:53

alcornoqui

You should definitely contribute to Xfce!

Maybe these links are informative:

What is Linux’s native GUI API?

The Linux Graphics Stack

#5 2019-01-18 04:53:50

Skaperen

i do intend to contribute what i can.

today, i made a wrapper around the "scrot" (program name and package name) screen shooter to avoid the interaction to save a file.  i just got don reconfiguring all my userids to run it when PrSc is pressed.  nothing appears on the screen and you aren't even sure if it worked.  it tries 3 directories and puts the PNG file in the first one that exists.  i have not tried other screenshooter programs, yet.

Board footer