Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 19:14:07

xPrzybyLx

Where are global keyboard shortcuts stored ?

Hi,

I recently installed Linux Mint 17 XFCE and I have problem with keyboard shortcuts.

First none of the provided apps could change default shortcuts. Then I found that
when I delete all *default* files I can update and set my own shortcuts... but...

For some reason some of the "default" shortcuts still works despite the fact that they
are not listed anywhere (see screenshot - for ALT+F8) - this should fire up Banshee
but instead just fires Window Resize action.

http://i.imgur.com/wf3OmTK.png

Please help - where does XFCE stores those "remaining" keyboard shortcuts ?

UPDATE: after logout and login everything seems to work as it should (no more "ghost" default shortcuts),
but I haven't rebooted my machine yet...

Last edited by xPrzybyLx (2014-11-05 21:25:40)

#2 2014-11-05 23:42:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Where are global keyboard shortcuts stored ?

The keyboard shortcuts are stored in the xfconf configuration system (Settings Editor and the shortcut configuration dialogs as you have displayed in your screenshot is where you can view them) when you are making changes. Changes are written to ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml when you exit out of the configuration dialog. Its normal to have xfconf and the xml file out of sync when you are making changes to the shortcuts.

Having said that, it sounds like something fishy happened in your scenario. However, it sounds like you got it sorted out with a re-login.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-02 10:48:28

Turo

Hi,

I got this solved in the past by removing the existing shortcut and then adding them-order of factors change the result. I'm talking about the "Keyboard" tab accessed through Settings Manager -> (below "Personal" heading) Window manager -> Keyboard (second tab) in UbuntuStudio 16.04 (with xfce4).
The behaviour was strange, but it seemed that new shortcuts were adding on top of pre-configured shortcuts, like if it were an additional layer. So when I started deleting the new configured ones, the older where appearing in this window... just deleting all of them until adding the new one solved my problem.
I hope it helps,
Kind regards.

#4 2021-06-25 17:29:48

xser

ToZ wrote:

Its normal to have xfconf and the xml file out of sync when you are making changes to the shortcuts..

I know this is an old thread but I found it because it is relevant to my problem. Is there a way to apply the changes?

Basically what I want is to enable/disable/change keyboard shortcuts on command.

#5 2021-06-25 19:15:50

ToZ
Administrator

xser wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Its normal to have xfconf and the xml file out of sync when you are making changes to the shortcuts..

I know this is an old thread but I found it because it is relevant to my problem. Is there a way to apply the changes?

Basically what I want is to enable/disable/change keyboard shortcuts on command.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way.

The timeout is hard coded to 5 seconds and in my tests, a new shortcut will appear in the xml file within 5 seconds (creating a new shortcut from the GUI front-end). I did not test the changing (swapping in and out) of the xml file.

Edit: BTW, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by ToZ (2021-06-25 19:16:21)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer