Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-17 09:21:01

MountainDewManiac

Possible to Remove Other Partition's Icon from Desktop...?

In desktop settings, I have cleared boxes for all icons except for "removable drives." This should allow me a clean desktop (which I prefer). But it doesn't, because my laptop's hard drive has another partition on it - and the system is treating the drive's other partition as a removable drive roll .

The one (potential) thing that I do want on my desktop is an icon for each "not normally present" drive / storage device, and keeping "removable drives" icons enabled in desktop settings does provide for this. But it is broken in that it refuses to not display an icon for the other partition (which is only technically removable in that I can delete it).

Is there a way to align the setting with reality and have it ONLY show icons for removable storage devices?

I will provide version numbers of components/apps upon request (someone might have to help me figure out what they are if I cannot access a handy "help / about" information box or find the thing via Synaptic Package Manager). System is Mint 17.3, other partition holds Mint 18.something, and there is actually a third partition on this hard drive and that's my (shared) swap partition. Whoever did the programming for this particular feature was at least intelligent enough to realize that my swap partition isn't a removable device but, sadly, the person does not appear to have cottoned to the fact that we can - and, oft times, do - have more than a swap partition and one "normal" partition per hard drive.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2019-03-17 10:49:55

ctac

Re: Possible to Remove Other Partition's Icon from Desktop...?

It seems to me that removable storage devices are all partitions not declared in /etc/fstab
Try to declare it in fstab with noauto option in the fourth field.

#3 2019-03-17 12:02:37

ToZ
Administrator

You can also use udisks configuration to hide partitions. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … partitions. Note that the top configuration is for udisks and the second one for udisks2. Check which one you have (most probably udisks2).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-03-18 07:42:42

MountainDewManiac

Oh geeze, I was afraid this would happen. I feel like I've just asked a famed chef in Paris to tell me how to cook something and he, being very nice, told me how to do it - but he did so in French.

My understanding is nil and right now everything seems to work, so I probably ought to just live with the annoyance. I don't want to hide this partition, I actually boot into it from time to time.

But I did want to thank both of you for replying. Thank you for attempting to help. It turns out that I'm too old, too limited in resources, and too frightened of hosing my system/drive to proceed. Mindless courage is, it appears, a symptom of youth.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2019-03-18 15:47:19

CwF

I use the following to hide disk passed to guest, never formally mounted, they persist display unless:

Find the serial number

root@stretch:# udevadm info /dev/sda
P: /devices/pci0000.......
.........lots clipped
E: ID_SERIAL=ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9
.......more clipped

Create file in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-hide-partition.rules with the following content:

ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"

This will hide all partitions on that disk from the desktop

Board footer