Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-25 20:56:38

TouchOdeath

AntiX 17.4 Full, how to install Xfce with everything 100% working

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … 00-working

The URL above summarizes my question.  Help would be much appreciated!

P.S. Thank you Devs for making such a great desktop environment!

ANSWER:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/509070/240618

Last edited by TouchOdeath (2019-03-27 21:04:14)

#2 2019-03-25 22:58:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: AntiX 17.4 Full, how to install Xfce with everything 100% working

For the missing icons, make sure that you at least have the gnome icon theme installed. You might also want to install other icon themes if you want the nicer icons. Look in Appearance > Icons tab and make sure there is an Icon theme selected.

As for mugshot, after you've installed the application, does clicking on the "users screen" (not sure what that is), does mugshot open then? If not, try running it in a terminal window to see what happens. If you are looking for the mugshot icon, I believe it's called "About Me" in the Settings submenu or in the Settings Manager (if the distro configures it do appear there).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-26 00:42:02

TouchOdeath

I'm guessing the install string that I had was correct then.  I've decided to go with MX Linux instead.  If you decide not to answer this thats fine.  Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mugshot", line 36, in <module>
    mugshot.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/__init__.py", line 47, in main
    window = MugshotWindow.MugshotWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot_lib/Window.py", line 52, in __new__
    new_object.finish_initializing(builder)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 228, in finish_initializing
    self.init_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 271, in init_user_details
    user_details = self.get_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 654, in get_user_details
    as_data = self.get_accounts_service_data()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 706, in get_accounts_service_data
    name = self.split_name(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 686, in split_name
    parts = name.split()
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'split'

I guess who cares about mugshot really.  The command users-admin works.. so thats what matters.

The open questions are:

"In the 'Settings' there is a lot of applications missing. Here are a few applications missing: Under Hardware: Power Manager, Bluetooth, Removable drives and media. Under System: Firewall. "

For the firewall... AntiX uses gufw.  Why it doesn't show up under settings.. you got me...

Last edited by TouchOdeath (2019-03-26 01:32:32)

#4 2019-03-26 01:50:10

ToZ
Administrator

TouchOdeath wrote:

I'm guessing the install string that I had was correct then.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mugshot", line 36, in <module>
    mugshot.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/__init__.py", line 47, in main
    window = MugshotWindow.MugshotWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot_lib/Window.py", line 52, in __new__
    new_object.finish_initializing(builder)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 228, in finish_initializing
    self.init_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 271, in init_user_details
    user_details = self.get_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 654, in get_user_details
    as_data = self.get_accounts_service_data()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 706, in get_accounts_service_data
    name = self.split_name(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 686, in split_name
    parts = name.split()
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'split'

See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=855157.
Hint:

sudo apt install accountsservice

For the missing icons, AntiX, for some reason, ships with a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file that hardwires certain settings. This is causing your icon issue in Xfce. Rename those two files and log out and back in again.

Here are a few applications missing: Under Hardware: Power Manager,

Install xfce4-power-manager

Bluetooth,

Install a bluetooth manager like blueman - Xfce does not provide one.

Removable drives and media.

AntiX is missing the desktop file. Here is the one shipped with Xfce. Create a file called "thunar-volman-settings.desktop" in ~/.local/share/applications with that content (Note: remove the two preceding underscores before Name and Comment).

Under System: Firewall. "

Install a firewall gui management app - Xfce does not provide one.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-03-27 20:49:06

TouchOdeath

Thank you sir ToZ for your feedback, much appreciated!  I have been able to come up with an answer to this question based mostly on your feedback.

Board footer