Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-02 16:35:08

appropriate

Monitor Resolution change no mouse/keyboard wakeup on sleep

Hi,

I have been going around on this with support at System76, and we think the issue lies within Xfce, here is why.

System= System76 Meerkat
running Xubuntu 19.04 (though the issue also appeared on 18.10)
The Xfce is the latest version from the repositories, though xfsettingsd no longer works, see below.
The monitor is connected with HDMI and the mouse and keyboard are USB 2.
System updates occur every weekday, so it is up to date.

The problem came up when I found that the monitor changes resolution. Looking at Settings/Display the first thing I noticed was that it is recognizing the wrong monitor. I have an LG 21.5" monitor and the dialog sees LG 23" at 1920x1080. I need to change that resolution to 1680x1050 in order to see everything on the screen. When I reboot, the resolution does not change. When I let it go to sleep, I cannot wake it up with the mouse or keyboard, I have to turn the monitor off, then back on and when it comes up, it is back to the wrong resolution. I have set the Settings/Display dialog to configure new displays when connected, so the dialog shows up after turning the monitor on. xrandr --output DP-1 --mode 1680x1050 will also reset the monitor correctly.

After some efforts without success, System76 suggested I try a different desktop, so I installed Gnome-Desktop and GDM, which I made default when asked, and removed Xfce, which included removing Xubuntu. Of interest here is that sleep or suspend did not change the resolution and the mouse and keyboard both worked to re-awaken the monitor. Reboot did not change the resolution. I did notice that the original Display setting recognized by GDM was different than LG 23", unfortunately I did not capture what that said, and consequent looking at that dialog, it was back to LG 23", but still worked. I have since removed the Gnome Desktop and GDM and re-installed Xfce4 along with Xubuntu. The only difference I have noticed since that is that xfsettingsd returns an error message:

dbind-WARNING **: 08:53:25.129: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

All the other symptoms returned. The monitor changes resolution when turned off and back on, the mouse and keyboard does not re-awaken after sleep, and the resolution does not change by rebooting.

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Appropriate

#2 2019-05-02 22:09:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Monitor Resolution change no mouse/keyboard wakeup on sleep

Hello and welcome.

If you don't get a response here, and given that it seems to work fine in Gnome, you might consider creating a bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer