Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-07 02:26:37

MrEen

xfce4-timer-plugin issue [Solved]

Not sure if anything can be done about this, but here's my issue:

When a timer expires, a window opens in the center of the screen announcing this. There is no window button added to the panel, and my notifications are set to open in the upper left. I attempted looking at xfcetimer.c to see what is being called but could not locate it.

My issue is that sometimes I am scrolling a window just as the timer expires, and the timer's up window drops below the active window without me noticing the timer expired. It would be great if there was a way to have that window add a window button to the panel.

There have been some days I've minimized all the open windows and found a dozen or so xfce-timer windows underneath all the others.

Using Linux Mint 18.3, xfce4-panel 4.12.0-3ubuntu2, xfwm4 4.13.0 (revision a46bb00), and xfce4-timer-plugin 1.6.0.

Thanks.

Last edited by MrEen (2019-05-07 22:55:50)

#2 2019-05-07 11:01:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-timer-plugin issue [Solved]

MrEen wrote:

When a timer expires, a window opens in the center of the screen announcing this. There is no window button added to the panel, and my notifications are set to open in the upper left. I attempted looking at xfcetimer.c to see what is being called but could not locate it.

The code sets the dialog as GTK_MODAL (which I believe means it skips the taskbar):

dialog = gtk_message_dialog_new(NULL, GTK_DIALOG_MODAL,
						GTK_MESSAGE_WARNING, GTK_BUTTONS_NONE, "%s", dialog_message);

My issue is that sometimes I am scrolling a window just as the timer expires, and the timer's up window drops below the active window without me noticing the timer expired. It would be great if there was a way to have that window add a window button to the panel.

You could create a bug report for it to see what the developer says.

As a workaround, each timer event can use a custom command instead of the built-in dialog. You can issue a notification:

notify-send -i important "Alarm" "The alarm has expired"

...or create a true modal zenity dialog via the answer at this post.

Or even create something that plays a sound event in addition to any of the above:

notify-send -i important "Alarm" "The alarm has expired" && paply <SOME_SOUND_FILE>

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-05-07 11:34:27

MrEen

Thanks ToZ. Of course notify-send will work for my use case. I should have thought of that.

In my defense, I've been using the plugin to reduce cigarette intake on my way to quitting smoking completely, hence not thinking as clearly as usual.

Thanks again!

#4 2019-06-09 03:06:24

MountainDewManiac

Off-topic, but: Good for you! I hope you are successful at your smoking cessation efforts. I have just about reached the point where I stop trying to quit and just come to grips with the fact that the only way I'll be able to quit is to stop being alive.

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2019-06-09 05:30:56

MrEen

Hey, thanks MDM!

My father was unsuccessful for years (decades actually) until health factors came into play. He managed to quit for good, but the damage was done. He did live almost 30 years longer than his father though.

The financial motivation is becoming a pretty good driver now as well, so I hope it can help me kick this stupid habit soon!

Board footer