Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-29 21:31:09

davecs

Orage being dropped?

I can understand that Orage is not being developed and will not be shipped with Xfce4.14, but will it be available for those who want to add it?

#2 2019-06-29 23:16:59

ozjd
Website

Re: Orage being dropped?

The last I heard Orage doesn't have a developer working on it. So it won't be updated to GTK3 like most of Xfce will be (or already is) for 4.14. As to whether you can install it you would need to check with your distro as to whether they intend to keep it in their repos. There is no reason why it, and any other gtk2 application, won't run under 4.14.

#3 2019-06-30 03:09:06

davecs

That being the case, would it still be possible to run it as a panel time/date app? I've noticed LXDE's date/time panel app allows you to either display a calendar or run the program of your choice when you click on it. That would be a great compromise.

#4 2019-06-30 06:41:58

ozjd
Website

The Xfce panel has been GTK3 for a while and still supports GTK2 plugins so the Orage panel plugin will continue to work.

#5 2021-02-13 19:54:13

mint4all

Greetings to y'all, and my apology for this "necro"-post....

Just so you know: i've been using Orage on & off over the past 4-5 years. I did so whenever I had a lot of todos and other activities to take care of, some of which were of the legal kind. Personally, I value my privacy and have little faith in placing my personal calendering & scheduling into "the cloud". If you read those TOS-contracts carefully, you'll know that your data is their's, and it can be handed over to other parties (no need to mention them) if they so demand ...

Which brings me to my point: is there still a certain demand for a desktop-centric calendaring & scheduling app -- along Orage's design -- that stands mostly alone, and does not commingle (out of the box, anyway) with email / contacts / cloud-based scheduling. That wouldn't preclude syncing with other apps, or the cloud, but that would be a user's choice (assumed that requisite add-ons for syncing can be built).

Granted, Orage's UX is a bit dated, it is not up to GTK3+ standards, awkward in places, and doesn't fit that well into the "work-from-anywhere" workflows / lifestyles. I've looked over its design & source, and it would be a formidable effort to modernize it. But it is doable, if there's a demand for it. However, if the vast majority of xfce-users thinks that their smartphones and/or cloud-apps suffice, then it makes sense to leave the old Orage app RIP. Any thoughts?

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2021-02-14 07:45:28

Compositoron

I use Orage and like it for the reasons as you have described. As long as it is supported I plan on using it.

And  if you or someone releases a modern version I would use that one, sure.

#7 2021-02-20 10:49:04

u666sa

Reality NOW - Arch Linux, xfce 4.16.. No orage no hardware monitor plugin.

Board footer