Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 05:26:08

Skaperen

one user majorly fubarred

in one of my users, Xfce is simply not acting correctly at all.  it is ignoring all the .desktop files in ~/Desktop.  it is placing icons of everything in its home directory on the desktop display.  logout for that user brings up the greeter but the processes keep running.  i have killed all the processes and cleaned up its home directory and even rebooted but it is still fubarred.

i'm still running Xubuntu 18.04.2.

any idea how to fix this?

edit:

i right click on the wide open desktop display and select Properties... and it brings up a window that shows Name: (the user name) and Location: (where its home directory is in).  normal users show Name: Desktop and Location: (the full home directory).  so it is obvious to me that it is using the home directory itself as the desktop display instead of the Desktop subdirectory.  the Name field looks like i can type in a new name, but that user would have no permission to change the name of its home directory.  the Location field is not a type-in space but it needs to be changed.  how do i changed where the desktop display is located in the filesystem?

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-07-13 06:08:26)

#2 2019-07-13 11:32:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: one user majorly fubarred

Check the contents of ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. If XDG_DESKTOP_DIR isn't pointing to your Desktop directory, you can change it via:

xdg-user-dirs-update --set DESKTOP ~/Desktop

More info about xdg user dirs can be found here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-07-13 18:48:07

Skaperen

Re: one user majorly fubarred

that was it.  somehow all the directories got set to the home directory or the subdirectories got stripped off.  i compared that to another user.  i just copied this file from another user, changed the owner, and rebooted.  that user is OK now.  thanks!

Board footer