Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-14 18:53:49

theweasel

Primary Screen not completly recognized. (3 Monitors, 2 GPU) Debian 10

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to run 3 monitors with 2 GPUs (Intel HD Integrated and NVIDIA card).

[ monitor 1 (Intel HD) ] [ monitor 2 (Nvidia) PRIMARY ] [ monitor3 (Intel HD) ]

The goal is to have the NVIDIA Powered Monitor in the middle and the Intel HD ones, left and right of it. (extended Desktop like....)

Well i wasn't able to create a proper xorg.conf for it. All i was able to manage was having primary on monitor2 (nvidia), which i wanted, but the other two monitors showing the same (cloned) and not possible to drag windows from monitor 2 to 3 for example. Not what i wanted.

So i tried xrandr (arandr).

I was able to set up everything like i want, but now monitor 1 seems to be primary. Icons there, glxgears starting there.....and if i drag the glxgears window it's stuttering around.....

xfce4-display-settings showing my monitor 2 as primary.

"Panel=>Panelsettings =>primary" sends the panel to the desired monitor. How do i do that for icons? And how do i tell applications to use the primary monitor?

nvidia-settings states monitor 1 and 3 are PRIME Displays (not configureable because it's Intel HD) and monitor 2 shows up normal without an option to set to primary.

So how do I force monitor 2 to be primary for everything?

script for xrandr
https://pastebin.com/tnhy51Dp

xorg.conf
https://pastebin.com/15ntEVZE

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)

I'm not sure what information you need in addition, but i'm trying to provide everything needed.

Edit:

I took the xrandr setup and installed Unigine Heaven Benchmark. It's running like intended and on the desired monitor.

I tried some more programs to see if i this desktopenviroment is useable for me. The main program window is opening on the monitor i want them to be. (monitor 2) But if the program opens a dialogue, for example mixxx => options => settings it's going to open on monitor1, thats really bad, because it's turned off most of the time.

I have no clue how to fix it. It's the first time i'm trying xfce and i'm running into this strange behavior. I can't believe that it's easier to have a full 3d accelerated vm running than a simple 3 monitor setup. big_smile

Last edited by theweasel (2019-07-14 21:31:52)

Board footer