Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-23 18:32:50

Mellowbob

Multi monitor setup

I have 2 monitors, both the same size and resolution. I have my work desk and a piano keyboard set in an "L" configuration. I often work on some sheet music, display it on the monitor and then play it with my head turned awkwardly so I can see the music on the monitor. Works ... but I'm getting too old for that.

I was thinking it'd be nice to set one up on my piano keyboard, display the sheet music, rotate my chair and play. So far, so good. Works like a dream.

Now, to get into dreamland, I'd like to rotate the monitor on the piano so that I can get a bigger sheet. So simple: I set monitor 2 rotate and all is well. Well, not quite. Now, I can have various windows on monitor 2 (the rotated one) full size top to the bottom, or on monitor 2. Can't have both. And that's fine ... but really, I just want one application to display on monitor 2 (the actual sheet) and have that fill the screen top to bottom.

I'm using gv to display ... so is there a command I can issue to gv tell it to display on monitor 2? Or ... well, other suggestions?

#2 2019-08-23 19:53:13

Aravisian

Re: Multi monitor setup

Mellowbob wrote:

Now, I can have various windows on monitor 2 (the rotated one) full size top to the bottom, or on monitor 2. Can't have both. And that's fine ... but really, I just want one application to display on monitor 2 (the actual sheet) and have that fill the screen top to bottom.

Mellowbob, could you please clarify this statement? Having a little trouble understanding what it is that you need.
In your apps menu, Settings, then choosing Display, you will find a display window that shows whether to mirror, primary display, refresh rate, rotation and so on.
I am not sure if what you need is there since I think I am having trouble understanding what you are looking for- but it's a start.

#3 2019-08-24 18:08:34

Mellowbob

Aravisian wrote:
Mellowbob wrote:

Now, I can have various windows on monitor 2 (the rotated one) full size top to the bottom, or on monitor 2. Can't have both. And that's fine ... but really, I just want one application to display on monitor 2 (the actual sheet) and have that fill the screen top to bottom.

Mellowbob, could you please clarify this statement? Having a little trouble understanding what it is that you need.
In your apps menu, Settings, then choosing Display, you will find a display window that shows whether to mirror, primary display, refresh rate, rotation and so on.
I am not sure if what you need is there since I think I am having trouble understanding what you are looking for- but it's a start.

Yeah, I think I'm over complicating and confusing the issue smile I'll try again.

1. I set up monitor 2 with a rotation <left>, mirroring off.

2. I want to display something (in this case it's a gv display of music) on that monitor.

3. I want the gv image to be full screen based on the rotated size of monitor 2.

So, in the end I'd like to be able to end up with a command line:

gv myfile.ps > monitor2

I've been playing a bit and after rotating my monitor to be vertical I can just leave the monitor settings to have 2 landscapes (even though the monitor 2 is portrait) and then use the command:

gv myfile.ps  --orientation=landscape --fullscreen --presentation

But, I still don't see how to display on the 2nd monitor (other than moving it after display). And, the virtual pages are now very wide ... it seems that both monitors are added together side by side. For this I just want 2 separate displays.

#4 2019-08-25 09:44:01

Aravisian

Mellowbob wrote:

1. I set up monitor 2 with a rotation <left>, mirroring off.

Mellowbob wrote:

But, I still don't see how to display on the 2nd monitor (other than moving it after display). And, the virtual pages are now very wide ... it seems that both monitors are added together side by side. For this I just want 2 separate displays.

If you have the display set to "Mirror" it cannot be a separate display.
Can you go into your apps menu, Settings, Display, then click on your Left-rotated display and Uncheck "Mirror displays" and leave only "Use this display" checked and see if that works for you?
Hopefully, this is helpful. If not and you have to call my boss, my name is Cornelius Cornwallis...

Board footer