Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-29 10:59:21

Jerry3904

Preferred Applications

A user has asked (unpleasantly) why there are not any other applications for the user to select. The obvious example is a music player, since many people have their personal favorite. At least some other DEs have that possibility...

I pointed out the option of using Open with Other Application in the context menu, then finding the check box at the bottom to make it the default. But man is that arcane, awkward and essentially hidden. (He can't get it to work for some reason, language may be a problem.)

I took a look at helpers.rc, and wondered if other choices could be set here, e.g.

MailReader=thunderbird
FileManager=Thunar
TerminalEmulator=xfce4-terminal
MusicPlayer=deadbeef   <-------
WebBrowser=opera

Doesn't seem to work.

I'm sure xdg-open could work, with a special launcher, etc.' and we could send them through MIME types--but I am focused on the average user where a big fat button makes it easy.

I can make an enhancement request--say for a Media tab--that should be pretty easy coding since the frame already exists. But am wondering if anything already exists that I am missing.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2019-08-29 12:25:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Preferred Applications

Exo currently only supports the 4, but it should be possible to extend the list. Might be a nice usability improvement for 4.16. Creating a bug/enhancement request would probably be best.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-29 12:38:41

Jerry3904

Re: Preferred Applications

Did that: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15900

Responding to our users' requests, I would like to see a third tab added: MEDIA. On that tab would appear the options for the user's music and video preferences. Other DEs have this user-friendly option, and it would be vastly preferable to the clunky and hidden mechanism now available via right-click > Other application > select > scroll all.the.way.down to check a box that no one knows is there.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer