Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-29 21:50:11

akovia

Using xfce4-terminal with Ulauncher ssh plugin

I started using ulauncher and am liking it so far. The extensibility to add only the modules you want is really nice, but I'm having trouble understanding why I can't get xfce4-terminal to work with the ssh extension. By default it uses xterm and apparently also works with gnome-terminal, but fails miserably with xfce4.

There is an issue open about it not working with Terminator either on the GitHub page, but there was no resolution. I've found that it indeed works fine with xterm, but never tried gnome-terminal as I wouldn't use it even if it worked. If I can't get it to work with xfce4-terminal I'll just forgo using this extension but I'd like to get it working if I could.

Here are the extension options.

ulauncher-ssh

I've tried every combination I could think of, but I fear it's over my head and wondering if this is more trouble than it's worth.

Terminal = xfce4-terminal #(wanted to use --drop-down as well so it would just add a tab to my existing terminal, but couldn't get this to work)
Terminal arg= -x
Terminal cmd= %SHELL -c 'ssh "%CONN"';%SHELL <-(this is the default but tried many quoting variations)

I notice no matter what I do I can't get it to load the ssh user name.

xfce4-terminal error

Thanks for any insight.

Arch Linux

#2 2019-09-16 11:01:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Using xfce4-terminal with Ulauncher ssh plugin

Sorry for the late response, but the error message shows that xfce4-terminal isn't understanding the command - it is being passed '/bin/bash' first which it won't know what to do with. Try changing the "Terminal cmd" to:

-H -x ssh "$CONN"

There is no need for $SHELL as it will use the value from your environment and "-H" will hold the window on the screen.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-09-22 00:03:57

akovia

Thanks ToZ,
Just found time to revisit this and almost gave up but had a breakthrough.

I was getting the same errors with the command you suggested and went down the google rabbit hole a little further this time and ended up here. I was using -x as the Terminal arg instead of -e. Once I changed that, I was getting somewhere.

Then I realized that I copied and pasted the command you suggested instead of typing it and I missed that you were using "$" instead of "%" for the shell expansion. Two birds down!

Unfortunately i am still unable to figure out adding it to my existing drop down terminal window. I will be sure to report if I ever solve that.

Thanks as always!

Arch Linux

#4 2019-09-22 05:17:51

Skaperen

what are you using ulauncher for?  i've been having a lot of success launch things with keyboard shortcuts (except for one user).

#5 2019-09-22 22:00:19

akovia

Skaperen wrote:

what are you using ulauncher for?  i've been having a lot of success launch things with keyboard shortcuts (except for one user).

Just been using it as intended as a general program launcher, but also been trying out some of it's extension like this ssh one here.

Some of the other extensions I'm currently trying are the File Search, Dev Docs, and the Encoder. I already use a ton of shortcuts but I can't have one for everything, so this has been a nice compromise so far. Time will tell if it turns into something I can't live without.

Arch Linux

Board footer