Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 06:23:35

Skaperen

xfce4-terminal: how can i remove the white bar along the top?

how can i remove the white bar along the top of xfce4-terminal?  it has the title in it and i don't want that bar to take space.

here is what it looks like on my screen:  http://ipal.net/xfce/201909070213571171444892.png

#2 2019-09-07 08:48:48

Aravisian

Re: xfce4-terminal: how can i remove the white bar along the top?

Skaperen wrote:

how can i remove the white bar along the top of xfce4-terminal?  it has the title in it and i don't want that bar to take space.

here is what it looks like on my screen:  http://ipal.net/xfce/201909070213571171444892.png

That is the titlebar which contains the titlebuttons, Min, Max Close.
On my copy, if you enable the Toolbar, you will see a FullScreen Icon and clicking that makes the terminal window Full screen, eliminating even the titlebar. Clicking it again restores it to original size.
On my version, that icon has the Search icon to the left and Preferences icon on its right.

In my version, from the Menubar, you can select "View" and there is an option to uncheck, "Show Menu Borders." Unchecking that will eliminate that titlebar, as well.

I would set up Keyboard Shortcuts for those commands, if I were you, then uncheck "Show Menubar" and "Show Toolbar" and then use your keyboard shortcut to  disable the border (Titlebar) and any combo of those commands SHOULD get you to where you want to be.
Hope this helps.

#3 2019-09-07 20:25:11

Skaperen

i want the terminal to start that way so the shell session initializes knowing its full size.

#4 2019-09-07 22:47:57

kunzlata

man xfce4-terminal

xfce4-terminal --maximize --hide-menubar  --hide-borders

If it works, use with a keyboard shortcut or a launcher.

Edit, note that if another tab is opened then it sows the tab-bar (but there could be an option for that too).

Last edited by kunzlata (2019-09-07 22:51:00)

#5 2019-09-08 20:25:08

rogue_ronin

Right click on the terminal, select preferences.

You'll be on the "General" tab: Lots of features here, including eliminating the scrollbar.

If you click on the "Appearance" tab, in the section "Opening New Windows" you can select whether or not to see the menubar, the toolbar or the borders. If you disable the borders, the titlebar will not display.

Close preferences, and restart xfce4-terminal.

Lots more features in preferences that you can adjust to suit.

Also, did you know that you can use xfce4-terminal like tilda or guake? Just set a hotkey with the following command line:

xfce4-terminal --drop-down

It's like Xfce -- it's completely unassuming and capable of amazing customization.

Aloha!

#6 2019-09-09 02:59:00

Skaperen

strange, "xfce4-terminal --maximize --hide-menubar  --hide-borders" worked, but doing it with either --hide- alone did not.  the 1 pixel border goes away, but that turns out to look OK.

i have been messing with preferences and even editing the config file.  i was trying to avoid losing the thin borders.  but it's actually better looking with them gone.  i'll have to try it for a while and see how i like it.

#7 2019-09-09 23:56:41

Skaperen

i ran into a problem with it without the borders.  normally i set the geometry overlarge so that it fills up the screen regardless of the font size i use.  without the borders, it extends the window off the display to the right and bottom.  when i set it to 800x200 i get 174x45 with the borders (and title bar) on, but i get the whole 800x200 with the borders off.  i can set the explicit size i want to get, but i need to figure out what size i can get with borders, get the font size, and use the font size to index a table of geometry to use.  that's more difficulty.  clearly the terminal can figure out the geometry.  i just need to get it to do that with at least the title bar off, if not all the borders.

i'm back to the original problem, how to turn off the title bar.

i wonder how easy it is to take the xfce4-terminal source code and build it on amd64, arm64, and other platforms, and get a clean install from a clean build, preferably with a .deb packaging.  ideally, they build a Makefile appropriate for building the appropriate package type on the platform it's building on.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-09-09 23:57:05)

Board footer