Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-15 01:36:18

Skaperen

[SOLVED] shortcuts behave different than configured for 2 users

user "phil" was logged out when "/home/phil/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml" was replaced with an identical copy as all users get and chowned so user "phil" owns it.  keys Alt+C is supposed to execute "stu clock" ("stu" is a script that switches use).  for all users i have tested, except for "phil", it works as expected, switching to user "clock".  for user "phil" it switches to user "skaperen".  when i bring up settings > keyboard > application shortcuts it shows Alt+C as executing "stu skaperen" which is not what the file has.

as a test i add a completely different new shortcut.  when i did, it rewrote the file (or, wrote a new one at a temporary name and moved the new one to the old name, the correct way to do it).  i looked at this new file and it wrote it as Alt+C is to do "stu skaperen".  so, i presume the process that does this really has "stu skaperen" in its internal data table.  i am very puzzled how and why it does this, why for this key combination every time, why this command every time, and why only on this one user.

it is possible that this could effect other users.  i have tested several users and several keys, but not all of them.  it is possible that user "phil" could have some crazy file.  user "phil" is where i do most of my coding and it has lots of crazy files.  and while writing this post i just noticed that user "pdh" has Alt+C doing "stu phil".  maybe the are more.  so far only Alt+C is affected.  Alt+C was added a few days ago.  i have been using the other shortcuts for a few weeks with no noticed issues. i have logged these 2 users out several times.  for at least user "phil" it gets the same error each time i log it in.  i think i will re-arrange the order in the .xml file and see how that affects things and look at the displays in other users, too.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-09-16 02:53:18)

#2 2019-09-15 14:07:03

kunzlata

Re: [SOLVED] shortcuts behave different than configured for 2 users

Just a quick reminder. If you log in xfce session, unless you have logind set to kill user processes (see https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=54426#p54426 ), the user processes will keep running after the logout.
So either re-configure logind or manually kill all user processes (at least xfce ones) when performing a change in xfce settings.
This is probably the reason why in another thread another forum member spent a lot of time to finally manage to 'clean up' his panel settings.

TL;DR: if the xfce processes aren't killed, the old settings persist active.

Edit. re-configuring logind takes effect after a reboot for sure, but probably restarting the Login service is enough.

Last edited by kunzlata (2019-09-15 14:09:20)

#3 2019-09-15 14:14:51

kunzlata

Also, if you do your customizing directly with xfconf-query probably is the best bet.
No need to logout.

#4 2019-09-16 00:40:40

Skaperen

i do have a tool on root to kill all process by username.  i'll use that and see what happens.  that or a full reboot.

#5 2019-09-16 00:42:06

Skaperen

does xfconf-query include a way to copy the config from usera to userb?

#6 2019-09-16 02:51:13

Skaperen

i killed all the processes and rebooted.  that solved the issue.  now i wonder which process was doing that.  i do know that in ~/Desktop, as soon as i change any .desktop file, it updates the associated desktop icon immediately.  and if i move ~/Desktop away, it immediately creates a new (empty) directory there.  i was wondering which process did that.  i wonder if this variety of things is handled by one process or by many.  i'm wanting to lighten the load, more, if there is a way.  and i'd like to see it do this same for more files, if one process does that.

Board footer