Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-07 15:11:27

Trimardio

Theme doesn't apply to file manager and options. Permission problem?

Hello,

I tried to install some new themes after years of using xubuntu. But I ran into a small problem:

The theme doesn't apply to the file manager or the options. Also I think the main bar should be changed by the theme, but appareantly it doesn't. Although that's a minor problem, I'm fine with my current bar tongue.

What I tried:
* Other themes
* special configs in ~/.config/gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0. But the first contain a single gtkfilechooser.ini file which don't seem relevant and the second contains nothing
* restarting thing of course
* distrib and all package are up to date

I realized it might have something to do with permissions. Indeed when I open the file manager from a note taking app wich for some reason I open with sudo, the theme is well applied on the file manager.
It seems logical as I made some mistakes... in my /usr/bin folder. Maybe I didn't pick a permission as should be?

My question is thus: am I on the good track? And if yes, is there some file particularly that should have a certain owner/chmod ?

Thanks in advance, and I hope I'm in the right forum smile

#2 2019-10-07 16:45:20

Aravisian

Re: Theme doesn't apply to file manager and options. Permission problem?

Trimardio wrote:

I realized it might have something to do with permissions. Indeed when I open the file manager from a note taking app wich for some reason I open with sudo, the theme is well applied on the file manager.
It seems logical as I made some mistakes... in my /usr/bin folder. Maybe I didn't pick a permission as should be?

My question is thus: am I on the good track? And if yes, is there some file particularly that should have a certain owner/chmod ?

Thanks in advance, and I hope I'm in the right forum smile

Trimardio, is your new theme placed in either your home /.themes folder or in /usr/share/themes folder?

For permissions, you might do a recursive permissions change on the theme folder itself and see if that works. Generally, when you download a theme, it is set to user permissions, not root.

#3 2019-10-08 20:28:43

Trimardio

Okkkk, I'm so sorry, that was so dumb I used the .local/share/themes folder and when I moved everything into a new ~/.themes folder it finally worked.

Not sure I understand why that would cause such bug though, but anyway, thanks a lot!

Should I close the topic somehow?

#4 2019-10-09 00:07:46

Aravisian

Trimardio wrote:

Okkkk, I'm so sorry, that was so dumb I used the .local/share/themes folder and when I moved everything into a new ~/.themes folder it finally worked.

Not sure I understand why that would cause such bug though, but anyway, thanks a lot!

Should I close the topic somehow?

Trimordio, not knowing or making a mistake is never dumb. Trust me, there IS such a thing as dumb; I have seen many examples. But that isn't one of them.
The local, share folder does say "themes" so it makes sense on the surface. But I think, if I am not totally wrong, that folder refers to app specific themes supplied by those apps.
To close a thread, you can go back to your original post, hit "Edit" and in the Title Portion, add the word "SOLVED" to the title.

I, for one, am glad for an easy fix because when it gets all complicated I get... dumb.

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-10-09 00:08:12)

Board footer