Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 00:13:49

roranicus

Is there a way to make my xrandr settings persistent?

So I have this issue that I've been trying to fix since forever.

I have a multiple monitor setup. One of these monitors is a TV. The problem is that whenever my system goes to sleep, the TV automatically shuts down. Now, when I wake the computer, it only detects the first monitor, as the TV takes a moment to turn back on. This results in two major annoyances.

First, it defaults back to mirrored display, which I don't want. I have this xrandr script that automatically restores my setting and resolution, but that only solves part of the problem, as my windows aren't restored to their proper monitor.

What I would like is for my monitor settings and window placement to remain persistent regardless of weather or not a monitor is turned on or off. Essentially, if I turn off or unplug the TV, I would like the system to still treat it as an active monitor, aka still be able to move my mouse there, etc. I tried the "Hdmi pin 19 hack", where you put a piece of tape over the last pin to prevent auto-detection. It prevented the monitor from working completely.

A lot of people have suggested scripts that run on startup or other such solutions. These do not work for me. My issue is not on boot, but on wake. I would also like to be able to turn off my TV without my settings getting messed up.

I'm using Xfce 4.12 on Debian Buster. I would very much like to stick to software in my distro's repositories. I know that Xfce 4.14 has new options, but I'm using a stable distro for a reason. I don't have the time or technical knowledge for bleeding edge.

Thanks to anyone who can help. This is honestly driving me nuts.

#2 2019-12-01 07:41:11

rogue_ronin

Re: Is there a way to make my xrandr settings persistent?

#3 2020-02-07 17:33:47

jorp

Hey, I'm having a similar issue here. It's been driving me crazy for some time as well. I've submitted a bug report recently, (not sure if it's categorized correctly).

Last edited by jorp (2020-02-07 18:26:44)

#4 2020-08-31 00:44:29

jnihil

I have an HDMI switcher the monitor between multiple PCs, AND I have multiple monitors.
This behavior shuffles the monitors whenever I switch PCs and also driving me crazy.
The problem does not happen if I use DVI ports, so I may switch to DVI until someone figures this out.

Board footer