Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-08 20:20:08

Squiffy

Primary display shows xfce4-panels from all monitors once disconnected

I have a primary monitor (eDP-1) and 2 external monitors (DP-3-1, DP-3-2)

I have 3 xfce panels, set up as the following:

'Panel 3': Display > Output > eDP-1

'Panel 1': Display > Output > DP-3-1

'Panel 2': Display > Output > DP-3-2

When I am connected to my 2 external monitors, each panel appears in the correct place: at the bottom of each respective monitor

When I disconnect the 2 monitors, all 3 panels appear on my primary monitor. If i want just 1 panel, I have to delete the panels for DP-3-1 and DP-3-2 and set them up again with the same configuration when I reconnect to the 2 external monitors.

I'm using xfce4-panel and i3wm

Any ideas on how I can keep panel DP-3-1 and DP-3-2 away from my primary monitor?

Thanks

#2 2020-01-11 16:40:12

alcornoqui

Re: Primary display shows xfce4-panels from all monitors once disconnected

Hello and welcome to the forum, Squiffy (I learned a new word today)!  wink

I was just wondering, what version of xfce4-display-settings are you using?

xfce4-display-settings -v

In recent versions, a profile manager was added, so you could automatically enable any profiles when new displays are connected:

If you have saved a profile that matches the currently connected displays and the newly connected display your profile will automatically be applied when starting the session or re-connecting the specific matching displays.

Check in Settings > Display > Advanced.

#3 2020-01-12 10:25:25

Squiffy

Hello smile Thanks for the response

I've had a play with xfce4-display-settings, however the settings stored for each profile only seem to be regarding monitor positions, refresh rates, resolution etc. I can't see information stored regarding the panel each monitor should show here. My version of xfce4-display-settings is 4.14.1.

I'll add that my panels are working how I want to when I use the xfce window manager, I just can't seem to get them to work with i3wm.

#4 2020-01-12 13:53:28

alcornoqui

The profile remembers which is the primary monitor:

Primary Display

Check this option to provide a hint to panels, docks and the desktop that the selected display is the primary display.

But you're right that the panel profiles are separate. Here's an informative thread on how to combine panel profiles and display profiles.

Board footer