Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-31 17:24:45

Aravisian

Efforts to move old Azenis theme to GTK3 not in vain...

I still have a LOT of work to do and a great deal to learn (I really need a formal structured education instead of winging it and flying by the seat of my pants...) and this image is not yet of a finished product... But my efforts are paying off.
Slowly.
Functions properly and the Max, Min and Close buttons glow when you hover over or click on them.

rh5rcQu.png

#2 2019-10-12 01:42:37

Aravisian

Re: Efforts to move old Azenis theme to GTK3 not in vain...

https://www.pling.com/p/1330040/
And now it IS in vain. Getting my Kevlar helmet and vest out even as we speak.

#3 2019-10-12 02:25:28

MrEen

Nice work. I like it. I'll try it out when I upgrade, which will be around Christmas. I'm using Mint 18.3 which has GTK3 version 3.18, but when Mint 19.3 is released, Xfce 4.14 is planned to be included, so I'm planning on upgrading then.

Well done for such a short time on Linux!

#4 2019-10-12 04:22:25

Aravisian

MrEen wrote:

Nice work. I like it. I'll try it out when I upgrade, which will be around Christmas. I'm using Mint 18.3 which has GTK3 version 3.18, but when Mint 19.3 is released, Xfce 4.14 is planned to be included, so I'm planning on upgrading then.

I did make a 3.18 version... But frankly, it is not quite as good.
Margins were not supported until 3.20 in gtk css. Thanks to Toz for helping me learn about that.
What I did in the 3.18 version was oversized the titlebar background and then created a background image of the close, min and max image with empty sockets.
Then, I made the titlebuttons just the blue orbs that go into the sockets.
It works... but it stumbles for windows which have only minimize and close or just close because that background image is left sticking out.
It does not support multiple images, either, so I needed to use Linear Gradients to draw the scrollbars and they just look odd.
I am still using it on the Garage Toughbook as that will probably stay with gtk 3.18 for a long while.  While I can send it to others - I would prefer to not put it up for download. I don't consider it to be very good work.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's not everyones cup o' tea, but every customer that sees it in the shop goes nuts over it. Most have never seen anything like it.

MrEen wrote:

Well done for such a short time on Linux!

It's a testament to blindly stumbling with trial and error far more than learned and knowledgeable coding. I admit, I hope smarter brains than mine download it- and improve it.

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-10-12 04:24:04)

#5 2019-10-12 04:35:25

MrEen

Aravisian wrote:

It's a testament to blindly stumbling with trial and error far more than learned and knowledgeable coding.

Been doing that for years myself. Can't bring myself to try to learn anything properly since I used VB6 and did lots of scripting in mIRC.

I once spent a considerable amount of time scripting something mIRC. Days after I joyously completed the damn thing, the developer released a new version with a built-in variable accomplishing the same task!

#6 2020-01-11 03:10:51

MrEen

Saw your post in the other thread about Pling. Do you plan to have (or already did change to) another site hosting your work? I already have a copy downloaded so I'm ok, but others finding this thread can't get your theme.

#7 2020-01-11 05:04:59

Aravisian

MrEen wrote:

Saw your post in the other thread about Pling. Do you plan to have (or already did change to) another site hosting your work? I already have a copy downloaded so I'm ok, but others finding this thread can't get your theme.

Considering DeviantArt. I have no solid plan on it, at this time. I may just consider a site of my own. I do not think there are enough downloads to clog the tube.

-chuckle- if you have a copy, it may need updating. Let me know.
I have also been working on multiple patches to ensure they will work for Cinnamon and Mate. I have not uploaded any of the CinnamonDesktop themes at all, yet. I am a novice, and I make mistakes often. But I am learning quite a bit.

I was aware that Pling / opencode had some pretty unethical policies in place, but I was unaware of them ever being acted on until this past week.
You see, Pling pays us. Pennies, mind you. But it is the principle of it.
It's one tenth of a penny/download for some things and one penny/download for others. For the first four months, I refused acceptance of payment. After that, I accepted it, about ten bucks per month. I bought myself something nice on eBay.
Policy is that they can refuse to pay you any amount at any time for any reason.
This past month, I hit an all time high on downloads.
xiSv9kJ.png
Still, you can see, not exactly Big Money. Pling decided that was too much and last week, without notice, without reason, without any just cause- withheld the entire payout. Every penny. I did not pad my downloads. I got permission from original artists. I linked sources.
I do not care about the money. What I do care about is the lack of ethics. I maintained ethics and they did not.
If they will do that to me, that means they do it to others. So, I started asking around... and started to hear others horror stories. I was also surprised to learn that others did not want to make a fuss over it because they were embarrassed to admit that Pling pays out to them any funds. Many said they just stopped uploading to Pling, but did not remove what was already uploaded.
Well, I am not embarrassed. I hold no secrets.  And I pulled it all down.
Pling / opencode is Making Bank on themers and artists Hard Work and Long hours only to shaft them out of the Pennies?!
Nah, I'm not staying quiet.
I think you can understand the principle and that it is not greed. I have made a grand total of about $24 from Pling in the past year.

#8 2020-01-11 20:39:20

MrEen

That's a shame what they did!

You might want to consider https://www.xfce-look.org/ for your theme. That was where I found all the other themes I've tried. Granted, I didn't try many, but that's where I always searched first for any eye candy.

#9 2020-01-11 22:16:49

Aravisian

MrEen wrote:

That's a shame what they did!

You might want to consider https://www.xfce-look.org/ for your theme. That was where I found all the other themes I've tried. Granted, I didn't try many, but that's where I always searched first for any eye candy.

Appreciate the tip. wink
But, XFCE-look, Gnome-look, Box-look etc., are all Openbox /Pling. It's all the same site.

DeviantArt will probably be the way I go. The purpose is to share the work and make it available. DeviantArt does not pay you a penny per download (or at all), but this is known right off the bat. I'm fine with that.
What I am not fine with is offering something and then snatching it back.

#10 2020-01-12 06:33:03

MrEen

Understood. And thanks for the info on the -look sites being the same. I wasn't aware.

#11 2020-01-18 05:40:09

Aravisian

MrEen wrote:

Understood. And thanks for the info on the -look sites being the same. I wasn't aware.

A quick update:
Pling / Openbox has kinda made right... So I have decided to continue posting themes and the like on the site in light of that AND in light of the news on XFCE 4.16.
Thanks to something Alcornqui taught me, I will be posting revised material to adapt to the gtk-nocsd program made by PCMan.
Since I had some time off... I used it to effectively make corrections, fix issues, contrast issues (ProwlerEX) - Fix undershoot and overshoot (dotted lines on borders) and many improvements to my first attempt: AzenisEX as it needed a lot of work.
Everything I post from this day forward will be Updated with these fixes. It will be slow going... but hopefully worthwhile to those interested in being "Evil, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad nubes that enjoy eyecandy and Window Borders that they can control."
And remember:
I get paid 1/10 of a cent to 1cent per download big_smile

Board footer