Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 11:38:59

mpsii

hello and question about development

I just read an online article about how thinly XFCE developers are spread. I am learning some programming and would like to know what language/languages is XFCE and its related applications/utilities are developed in.

#2 2020-01-15 12:03:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: hello and question about development

Hello and welcome.

The majority of Xfce is written in C (some components use C++ and vala) and make use of the GTK3 toolkit. If you are interested in getting started (and this is exciting news as the more developers we have the more we can develop), please start by reading this.

Thank you for expressing interest in participating in the development of Xfce.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-01-20 08:24:35

mpsii

Thank you for your response. I have done a bit of reading. If I might ask: what is a small issue or concern that I may begin to look at as a novice developer? I wish to contribute eventually in a more significant way; however, I wish to get my bearings and progress naturally to that goal.

#4 2020-01-20 11:30:08

ToZ
Administrator

Have a look through Xfce's bountysource page. The issues there are ranked by likes and some have bounties places against them. Gives you an idea of what users are looking for.

Or, look through existing bug reports of a component that interests you and start fixing them.

You can also pick an user-requested enhancement from the component or panel plugin wishlists.

Also introduce yourself on the #xfce-dev IRC channel. That's where the other developers hang out.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer