Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 23:28:34

schrmh

About cursors..

I noticed a few things I don't like or find weird:
- xfconf-query can not set cursors for already open QT apps.
- Sometimes systemsettings5 (only the GUI for some reason..) from KDE devs can set the cursor for both QT and Gtk apps running under Xfce even if they are already open..
- xfconf-query is extremly slow. It can only change the cursor around half a second
- xfconf-query does requiere you to set a different theme if you changed the look of the theme you are currently using and you want the changes to be displayed
- Sometimes applying the theme again is needed even when you only want to change the cursor size

So why is this relevant to me?
Actually I want to have a inverted cursor (it performs the XOR operation to invert the colors behind it)
So since xfconf-query is way to slow (also would have been a hacky work-around anyways because it would have constantly written newly created images to the drive) Xlib seems to be the way to go. So.. does somebody know how I can set a cursor for all open windows with Xlib (or maybe better for the window the cursor is above if that takes less processing time)?

#2 2020-01-16 05:01:52

haelmic

Re: About cursors..

Don't ask me how to do it, but that sounds like a job for a kernel module.
They are an iffy business as a single bug in one can take down your entire system.
If there's a safer way I'd like to know, I'm interested in an inverted cursor.

#3 2020-01-16 12:47:38

alcornoqui

I was curious, so I looked it up and... wow:

Why can't KDE make I-beam cursor 1px wide?

XOR support for mouse cursors

Patent for System of GUI Text Cursor, Caret, and Selection

schrmh wrote:

Xlib seems to be the way to go. So.. does somebody know how I can set a cursor for all open windows with Xlib (or maybe better for the window the cursor is above if that takes less processing time)?

[edit] BTW, I think you mean xcalib

Last edited by alcornoqui (2020-01-16 12:49:41)

#4 2020-01-16 19:39:26

schrmh

About the patentet stuff: Iirc it's expired anyways.
This Text Cursor GUI patent should also be irrelevant.
I think the relevant patent was this one: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4197590A/en
Also, there is more to it: https://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classe … l#NinePats

alcornoqui wrote:

[edit] BTW, I think you mean xcalib

No. I never heard of that. I will take a look. It seems to use Xlib.
But I feel like it's almost useless since invertion itself is not the problem but setting a cursor for all windows.
Well, alternatively I could get the current mouse position and then could try to invert the screen area the mouse is on.

Last edited by schrmh (2020-01-16 20:01:48)

#5 2020-01-16 23:17:59

alcornoqui

I see. This goes way over my head, I found the question interesting and started searching...

As many of the related results mentioned xcalib, I assumed that was what you meant, so, good luck and please tell us of any interesting development.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

Board footer