Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-17 23:08:15

Peter Linu

Hello and help

Hiyall,
I'm a 72 year old absolute beginner. MrEen recommended this forum to me.
It took me about 2 days to remember how to create a partition into which I can install Xfce (Gparted Live via 'F12'). I created a 40Gb partition with the label: XFCE.
I have Xfce.iso on a USB stick. I insert it but nothing happens. Where do I go from here?
Cheers,
Peter Linu

#2 2020-01-17 23:20:13

MrEen

Re: Hello and help

Hi Peter, and welcome!

I'll assumed you burned the iso to the USB stick, and not copied the iso on to it. If I'm wrong, that's your issue.

Otherwise, you may need to enter your computers boot menu to select the USB stick, or change the BIOS to look at USB before Hard drive.

What brand and model is the computer?

EDIT: I would think the F12 step again is the appropriate place to boot the USB stick, again, assuming the iso was burned to it.

Last edited by MrEen (2020-01-17 23:27:15)

#3 2020-01-18 21:51:58

Peter Linu

Hi MrEen,
Here we are again! Are you following me or am I following you?
The story so far;
Xfce IS on a USB stick. I used F12 to enter setup. I intuitively went to 'Something Else' and made my way to the window showing all of the partitions. I highlighted sda5 (Xfce) > continue > a small window pops up saying: "No root system is defined. Please correct this from the partition menu."
I don't even know what that means!

#4 2020-01-18 22:17:50

Aravisian

Peter Linu wrote:

Hi MrEen,
The story so far;
Xfce IS on a USB stick. I used F12 to enter setup. I intuitively went to 'Something Else' and made my way to the window showing all of the partitions. I highlighted sda5 (Xfce) > continue > a small window pops up saying: "No root system is defined. Please correct this from the partition menu."

Peter, hope you don't mind me cutting in.
But that is a very simple fix. Repeat your steps to the "Something Else" option and on that partition editor, make sure that you select the partition, root, then scroll down and select "/". (You will see other options listed in that drop down menu, but "/" is the one you want.)

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-01-18 22:18:32)

#5 2020-01-18 22:20:45

MrEen

Yeah, I posted in the other forum about sda5 not having / as a mount point from your gparted screenshot. I didn't think that was possible.

It's been a while since I've done an install to hardware, but there's a spot where you need to set the mount point for /

I'll see if I can find some screen shots to demonstrate.

#6 2020-01-18 22:26:16

MrEen

This link should be pretty much what you need to follow: https://www.itechguides.com/no-root-fil … s-defined/

And it has images to make things easier to follow. I think the important point is to make sure the "Mount point:" is set to "/" (without the quotes.)

#7 2020-01-18 22:27:20

MrEen

Aravisian wrote:
Peter Linu wrote:

Hi MrEen,
The story so far;

Peter, hope you don't mind me cutting in.
But that is a very simple fix. Repeat your steps to the "Something Else" option and on that partition editor, make sure that you select the partition, root, then scroll down and select "/". (You will see other options listed in that drop down menu, but "/" is the one you want.)

Yeah, do that! smile

#8 2020-01-19 01:47:06

Peter Linu

THANX for that. It worked and I have Xfce up and running.
Another cuppla questions;
1. Desktop is a blank window. How do I put a few icons on it?
2. How do I create a clickable menu like the 'LM' on the left side of the Cinnamon panel?
3. Xfce is a test. I'd like for the panel to contain a cpu temperature monitor like the one I'm using in Cinnamon. Where can I get it?

#9 2020-01-19 02:01:57

MrEen

Something is still wrong I'm afraid. There should be at minimum a Home folder icon on the desktop and the panel should already have the Menu icon where you're used to seeing it.

For starters, run the updates that are available. If you have no panel at all, pressing the Windows (Super) key will hopefully launch the main Menu and navigate to All > Update Manager

I know a few things needed fixing just after 19.3 launched.

#10 2020-01-19 03:10:59

Peter Linu

Very odd; I was using the external keyboard to work with external monitor. When I used the laptop's Windows key, it worked. I now have menu and desktop icons, as one would expect.
NOW
I need one more thing before I go to the time and trouble of configuration. The reason that I'm on Xfce is because Cinnamon runs too hot. Can you please point me at an applet to put into the panel so I can monitor the CPU temperature?

#11 2020-01-19 03:20:09

MrEen

I think the genmon plugin might be what you'd like. Screenshots and homepage.

I haven't used it myself, but I'm sure someone can assist in setting it up for your use case.

Board footer