Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-20 22:29:53

cjsmall

How to stop Xubuntu 19.10 forcing F11 to toggle maximize window

I recently upgraded to Xubuntu 19.10 and now F11 has now been automatically assigned to toggle maximize/minimize window.

# xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -lv | grep -i f11
/xfwm4/default/<Alt>F11                    fullscreen_key

This shows that Alt-F11 is assigned this task, but Alt-F11 does nothing while F11 does.

I have assigned the following functions in Window Manager --> Keyboard

/xfwm4/custom/<Super>F9                    maximize_vert_key
/xfwm4/custom/<Super>F10                   maximize_horiz_key
/xfwm4/custom/<Super>F12                   maximize_window_key

and they all work as expected.  If it's useful, xev shows that F11 has a keycode of 95 and keysym of 0xffc8, F11

I use F11 and Alt-F11 in my editor and for other purposes, so I need to disable this new window manager function.  There is no F11 assignment under Window Manager or Keyboard settings.  How can I disable it?

Thanks.

#2 2020-01-21 00:01:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to stop Xubuntu 19.10 forcing F11 to toggle maximize window

In which apps are you seeing this? Some, for example mousepad and xfce4-terminal, have built-in defaults that full screen on F11 but can be changed via their accels.scm files (~/.config/Mousepad/accels.scm & ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/accels.scm). Firefox has it set by default as well - I believe you can change it via an extension.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-01-21 05:37:51

cjsmall

Re: How to stop Xubuntu 19.10 forcing F11 to toggle maximize window

ToZ:  That's interesting.  I didn't know that the shortcuts were controlled by these accels.scm file.  Good to know.  I don't mind the F11 toggle in programs like Firefox, but I do need to change it for xfce4-terminal as I use F11 as an editing key in vim, as well as in other circumstances.

In ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/accels.scm there is this line:

; (gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/terminal-window/fullscreen" "F11")

which I believe is already commented out by the semicolon.  I changed this to:

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/terminal-window/fullscreen" "")

and started a new terminal and that did disable it!  However, when I logged out and back in, the original line was restored and F11 was active again.  After some testing I finally determined that the existing xfce4-terminals appeared to be writing the accels.scm file upon exit, so I had to dismiss all of them, open an xterm to edit the file and then save.  Only then did the change stick!  Now when I reboot, the terminals inherit the new setting and the terminals no longer grab F11 for their own purpose.

And by the way, the same thing applies to the Xfce4 Window Manager!  I kept changing the theme, but it failed to update it in the config file.  In this case the file is ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml and the line is:

<property name="theme" type="string" value="Theme_Name"/>

This was originally set to Moheli and I wanted it changed to Default, but Moheli kept being rewritten to the file.  I had to log out of Xfce, log in from a remote terminal, edit the file, and then re-login for the change to stick.  Seems like a serious bug here if the Window Manager cannot successfully update its own themes.

Anyway, thanks greatly for your help!

Board footer