Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-29 00:32:42

eraserhead1897

XF-Tile | a pseudo tiling window manager

Hello guys, i made this script to have some basic tiling wm functionality in my xfce environment.
I tried in the past to go full Tiling but i don't think it works well for me, I tried other scripts but all of them lack the ability to handle my windows automatically without a key biniding set up.

So well, here we go. Please feel free to try it.

https://github.com/eraserhead1897/xf-tile

#2 2020-01-29 01:40:54

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XF-Tile | a pseudo tiling window manager

Hello and welcome.

This looks interesting. I'm going to give a try. And thanks for sharing.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-01-29 02:04:44

ToZ
Administrator

Okay, some comments:

Themes with not equal window border size *not supported

So it looks like it will only work with something like the no-borders theme where all of the borders (top,left,right,bottom) are the same size. Looks nice with the no-border theme.

Horizontal panels *not supported

Do you mean "vertical panels not supported"? It works fine with the top horizontal panel

My one issue is that if I go to another workspace, it counts the windows from the other workspaces. So if my one workspace has 4 windows any other ones, on any other workspace, open full screen. Is this the intended design?

It might also be nice if there were default keybindings for moving the windows up and down.

I have to admit, with the no borders theme (and maybe vala-app-menu in the panel), it would be an interesting design.
Again, thanks for sharing.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-01-29 02:51:01

eraserhead1897

Hello and thanks for the welcome!

ToZ wrote:

So it looks like it will only work with something like the no-borders theme where all of the borders (top,left,right,bottom) are the same size. Looks nice with the no-border theme.

For now yep. Im not sure something like this would work that well with anything but a only-border decoration.
But you can try different themes with same ratio, for example this one:
Limitless Ocean https://github.com/joshuah345/linux-dotfiles
I tried it and it looks nice....obviously you must edit the config files with a 10 px border in this case.

ToZ wrote:

Do you mean "vertical panels not supported"? It works fine with the top horizontal panel

Ehm, yeah lol. Sorrry for the typo.

ToZ wrote:

My one issue is that if I go to another workspace, it counts the windows from the other workspaces. So if my one workspace has 4 windows any other ones, on any other workspace, open full screen. Is this the intended design?

No, thats not how it should work. It should tile 4 windows per workspace.
Do you have workspaces already set like in my screen on github or you add them dynamically when needed?
Also, if you manually run the script without adding it to startup, make sure to close all windows before launching it.

Edit. I noticed i forgot to add xorg-xprop as a dependecies in the list.
It should not be your problem, but be sure to have it installed anyway.

Last edited by eraserhead1897 (2020-01-29 03:19:28)

Board footer