Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 17:01:50

Lukalator

screenshooter - delete Image from Imgur? Prevent unintentional uploads

Hi!

I'm using xfc4-screenshooter all the time and it usually is sufficent for my needs, but today an accident happended:
My hand slipped from the mouse and an image of my desktop was uploaded to Imgur instead of saving it to a file.
I have no idea how to have this image deleted. I have no "delete_hash" that's often said to be needed for that. I sent a deletion request to Imgur, though.
For pure luck the image contained no personal information.

So I wonder:
Is there any way for disabling the upload features of the screenshooter entirely?

Obviously that's no minor issue, but a huge privacy concern. I hope there's a solution or that you are willing to fix this behaviour in future versions of the screenshooter.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lukalator (2020-02-01 17:07:03)

#2 2020-02-01 18:59:30

vinox

Re: screenshooter - delete Image from Imgur? Prevent unintentional uploads

This would interest me as well.
Is there a switch in a configuration file to disable this?

#3 2020-02-01 19:02:14

MrEen

According to this page, you should have had a window pop up referring to "Your uploaded image" and there was a tab there with Deletion link. Opening that tab then, and only then, would have given you the link to delete the upload. Once that window is closed, there's no way of retrieving the link.

#4 2020-02-01 19:12:43

MrEen

I think you could also alter the Command (assuming you're using the PrrtScr key) from xfce4-screenshooter to xfce4-screenshooter -f -s /path/to/save in Settings > Keyboard > Application shortcuts to prevent further slips.

#5 2020-02-01 19:15:40

vinox

As much as I see the advantage for some users, it would be really a good idea that this could be disabled by users who don't have any intention to use imgur at all.

#6 2020-02-01 21:05:31

Aravisian

vinox wrote:

As much as I see the advantage for some users, it would be really a good idea that this could be disabled by users who don't have any intention to use imgur at all.

Strong agreement. I think a bug report is in order.
Normally, it may be no big deal. But if Imgur makes deletion of accidentally uploaded images a PITA, then a default setting to use it is a pretty big problem.

#7 2020-02-01 21:40:19

alcornoqui

Good idea.

I like the method that a similar screenshot app (Greenshot) adopted in 2018:

In the taskbar/system tray click on the Greenshot icon, then select Imgur > History and you can see a list of images uploaded there and a button to delete them.

#8 2020-02-02 13:46:34

vinox

I created a bug report as request to improve this:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16420

#9 2020-02-05 16:32:29

ema-pe

vinox wrote:

I created a bug report as request to improve this:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16420

Hi, I proposed a patch that adds a new option to disable "Host to Imgur" action. It is enabled by default. You can see some screenshoots on the bug report.

#10 2020-02-05 16:33:32

vinox

Thank you very much for your fast reaction!

#11 2020-02-05 17:01:30

ema-pe

vinox wrote:

Thank you very much for your fast reaction!

You're welcome, I hope that a maintainer will see the patch soon.

#12 2020-06-29 18:36:55

PlunderingPirate9000

I would like to add a comment on this which is the following:

If xfce4-screenshooter has an option for imgur, why does it not include options for other services?

I don't think it is appropriate for FOSS software to favour one service over another in this manner.

Therefore I would suggest that the user EITHER be given a choice of "approved" services, which Imgur may be one. How the approval should be done is a discussion for another thread. OR it should be removed.

My personal opinion is that the functionality should be completely removed from the app. I don't see how this particular functionality is useful to any particular user, and so therefore IMO it should be removed. Surely it is no more easy than copying to the clipboard and then pasting the clipboard contents on your favorite image hosting website of choice, imgur or otherwise.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree but I don't think a service should be recommended in this manner unless it is somehow approved by the FOSS community.

Best Regards

Last edited by PlunderingPirate9000 (2020-06-29 18:37:39)

#13 2020-06-30 11:35:04

ema-pe

PlunderingPirate9000 wrote:

I would like to add a comment on this which is the following:

If xfce4-screenshooter has an option for imgur, why does it not include options for other services?

I don't think it is appropriate for FOSS software to favour one service over another in this manner.

Therefore I would suggest that the user EITHER be given a choice of "approved" services, which Imgur may be one. How the approval should be done is a discussion for another thread. OR it should be removed.

My personal opinion is that the functionality should be completely removed from the app. I don't see how this particular functionality is useful to any particular user, and so therefore IMO it should be removed. Surely it is no more easy than copying to the clipboard and then pasting the clipboard contents on your favorite image hosting website of choice, imgur or otherwise.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree but I don't think a service should be recommended in this manner unless it is somehow approved by the FOSS community.

Best Regards

I use rarely upload my screenshots to Imgur, but I think it would be difficult to integrate other services because there is not a standard API. It will add complexity.

Anyway I am agree with you.

#14 2020-12-09 23:25:12

xfceforumorg1220

I was searching how to remove Imgur from xfce4-screenshooter and found this entry. I agree.

I'm coming from KDE and their "Send To" menu items took forever to open, barely fit on the screen, and I never used a single one, unless I accidently clicked one. I really, really wanted to get rid of all of them (one of the reasons I left KDE :-)). I either save the file or open it in GIMP.

#15 2021-08-06 12:55:37

graemev

Following the normal Unix  philosophy of "do one thing well", why not simply change the boxes to :

open using the command [ gimp ]
upload using the command [ upload2imgur ]

...then provide the command (shell script) /usr/bin/upload2imgur  ( ...upload2dropbox ....)

Then I can simply replace it with /usr/bin/true or none , so I can't upload in error.

Board footer