Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 13:44:51

Ski-lleR

Application with categories=Emulator end up into System

Hi,

I want to know if it's a normal behaviour that .desktop containing "Categories=Emulator" end into the System category ?

If not, how can i fix the problem ?

Thanks

#2 2020-02-10 14:39:25

alcornoqui

Re: Application with categories=Emulator end up into System

According to Freedesktop, "Emulator" is an additional category related to the "System" or "Game" main categories.

There's a wiki entry with detailed instructions to customize the Xfce menu, but, with something like MenuLibre it's really easy to tweak it to your liking.

#3 2020-02-10 18:48:38

MrEen

alcornoqui wrote:

with something like MenuLibre it's really easy to tweak it to your liking.

Says you!! smile

I could never figure out how to use that thing! I've been a GUI guy most of my life, but editing menus is one thing I prefer to do by hand. And fortunately .desktop files make it real easy. I didn't even need to play with .menu files to get things working the way I was comfortable with, although I'm sure for some it will be necessary.

#4 2020-02-10 19:32:46

alcornoqui

Lol well I have to admit my tweaks have been minimal, but my experience has been good.

The main nuissance was that you can easily forget to save your changes (hint: you have to click on the "Save" icon, second to the left, no warning if you try to close without saving!).

The main takeaway is that it's possible for OP to get the menu as desired, yay!

#5 2020-02-10 22:44:25

Aravisian

Alacarte and Menulibre (same thing, really) take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.
The only issues I have had is that sometimes, what you set doesn't stay set.

Editing by hand, as Een puts it, is preferred in my opinion. It's more intuitive and makes more sense and doing it that way, my settings always stayed. It doesn't get much easier than editing a text file.

#6 2020-02-15 15:00:53

Ski-lleR

Ok so it's not a bug, i will continue to edit .desktop by hand.

The only problem with that emulator category listed in system is that i have an emulator (mesen) that rewrite the .desktop inside ~/.local/share/applications, using a generated guid for the name, so impossible to freeze with chmod.

I ended up modifiing the code of mesen for storing the file as mesen.desktop (without guid) and not rewrite it at each launch if it exist (that's a complete stupid behaviour ...)

Board footer