Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-12 06:19:45

John Jason Jordan

What setting makes selected text turn white?

I have a laptop and a desktop, both with UHD displays, and both use Xubuntu 18.04, up to date.

When I select an item in an application on the laptop, the line turns medium blue and the normally black text turns white so it is still legible. On the desktop the text remains black so you can't read it. For an example of this, go to Settings Manager > Appearance and look at the list of items in the Style tab. At the top of the list you probably have Adwaita. When it is selected its line turns medium blue, and the text is supposed to turn white. Select any other style and the text turns white as well. This works on the laptop, but on the desktop the text remains black.

I have searched throughout every setting I can find and I can't figure out where this feature is turned on. Could someone help a dummy here?

#2 2020-02-12 06:35:50

Aravisian

Re: What setting makes selected text turn white?

John Jason Jordan wrote:

I have a laptop and a desktop, both with UHD displays, and both use Xubuntu 18.04, up to date.

When I select an item in an application on the laptop, the line turns medium blue and the normally black text turns white so it is still legible. On the desktop the text remains black so you can't read it. For an example of this, go to Settings Manager > Appearance and look at the list of items in the Style tab. At the top of the list you probably have Adwaita. When it is selected its line turns medium blue, and the text is supposed to turn white. Select any other style and the text turns white as well. This works on the laptop, but on the desktop the text remains black.

I have searched throughout every setting I can find and I can't figure out where this feature is turned on. Could someone help a dummy here?

Am I correct in understanding you that you have duplicated all those settings and themes on each; the laptop and the desktop and this dark text is occurring only on the desktop?

#3 2020-02-12 07:05:47

John Jason Jordan

Aravisian wrote:

Am I correct in understanding you that you have duplicated all those settings and themes on each; the laptop and the desktop and this dark text is occurring only on the desktop?

Yes, I have duplicated all the settings on both computers. But obviously, I missed one.

#4 2020-02-12 08:09:15

Aravisian

John Jason Jordan wrote:

Yes, I have duplicated all the settings on both computers. But obviously, I missed one.

Possibly. I do not think this is a Setting at fault.
You might try installing a new SAME theme on both machines, and see if the problem persists. If it does, it is not the themes doing it.
Could you go to your home folder, hit ctrl+h, then navigate to your .config folder. Your path is ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
You may have done this already... But check that gtk.css file and see if there is anything there.

EDIT: By the way, to answer the question in the title; it is not a setting, usually, but the gtk.css file for the theme you are using.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-12 08:10:33)

Board footer