Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-15 08:22:47

Aravisian

Re: Restoring default XFCE menu for Ubuntu Studio

bluecode wrote:

Thanks for the timeshift info MrEen, and your precautions!

When I right click whisker icon, options are :
  (Whisker Menu ) / Properties / Above / Move / (Edit Applications) / Remove / Panel

Parts in brackets are greyed out - so I can't select the "Edit Applications" option. 

I can only select : Properties / Above / Move / Remove / Panel >

The part grayed out is the part I was asking you to check.
Figures.
I would highly recommend you compress the contents of your Home folder such as Documents, Pictures, anything you do not want to lose.
I also always compress (back up) the .mozilla folder (Hit ctrl+h to see the files that are hidden with a "." in front of them).
It's too late for you on Timeshift- this time. I remember when I first started using Linux, I did a LOT of reinstalls until I got the hang of it. Mostly because I kept poking and prying into Root folder.
So, yes, please make back ups of your important files in case a reinstall is in your future.

#27 2020-02-15 08:47:04

bluecode

Thanks Aravisian for trying to still help.

What do you mean by : "compress the contents of your Home folder such as Documents, Pictures, anything you do not want to lose."?

Do you mean back up crucial files because system is ...  ?   unstable?

Last edited by bluecode (2020-02-15 08:52:03)

#28 2020-02-15 10:29:26

Aravisian

bluecode wrote:

Thanks Aravisian for trying to still help.

What do you mean by : "compress the contents of your Home folder such as Documents, Pictures, anything you do not want to lose."?

Do you mean back up crucial files because system is ...  ?   unstable?

I do not think it is unstable. I think we are. As users.
Just as a new driver is more likely to make mistakes or learning to play a musical instrument or learning a new language.
Many users starting out on Linux the first time announce themselves as "new", perhaps hoping to elicit understanding and maybe - mercy.
But a person can use Linux for ten years and still- there is so much to it you are always "new." While this is just as true for M$ Windows, those users do not often immerse themselves in the Control over the Computer the way Linux does.
And with more control comes more responsibility to learn the machine.
It is wise to make back ups about every week, really. Depending on how much you do on it.
I take a very simplistic approach to it. While there are GUI software like Duplicity Deja Dup and Timeshift...
I just make compressed folders. And I shove them somewhere. External hard drive, cloud drive, USB drive- whereever.
To compress a folder on most file managers, just Right Click the Directory that you want to compress and scroll down the popover menu to "Compress." You can choose to compress as a .tar or as .zip. I usually .tar.gz mostly out of habit.
I do not know yet, if you will need to do a Wipe and Reload. But so far, we have not been able to help. Perhaps the solution is simple, but we do not have enough information available to find it.
But in the end, you may have to reinstall your operating system and get a fresh start. If so; there are some rules.
1.) Make Back ups, First. However you choose to do it- though I recommend you ONLY back up the Home Folder. This is because many of the troubles that lead to a Wipe and Reload are located in Root Folder and you don't want to transfer those over and repeat the process. Reinstalling means any new software that did not come with your Distro but were installed by you will be lost. You will need to reinstall them- which leads to rule number 2.
Home Folders that I compress and store are all the Visible home folders, various templates folders that I use for projects, and hidden folders .mozilla, .conky, .fonts, .config, .icons, .themes, .gimp if you use gimp a lot like I do. Once the new OS is loaded, I move the compressed files in and right click, "extract here." Easy.
I avoid the GUI backup tools. They store a lot of extra stuff needlessly. And they can be confusing. My method is simple, direct and allows complete user control.
2.) Do Not Fear reinstallation (Unless you have not been making backups!).  It is not unusual for me to do a Reinstallation Just to Clean the computer. To get a fresh start. If you are good with making back ups- a reinstall is nothing to fear. On most distros, it is a fast and easy process. And you may worry about software you installed- If you paid for it- you have an account. Most things you will remember what it is that you need to reinstall when the need for it arises.
Most often a reinstall turns out to be a blessing- as long as your data and projects are Backed Up!

Mr Een was right.
It is much better you learn to back up and restore now, even if a solution makes its way into the thread soon. You will need to do so eventually, no matter what OS you use. It is a good practice.

That being said... I will admit that if I were in your shoes, I would probably have done a reinstall by now. From my perspective, I have learned to not fear it and I have done a LOT of reinstallations. I have gotten quite adept at immediately remembering which settings to adjust and what software to reinstall immediately after reinstall of OS is finished. Sometimes a solution only partly solves the visible problem and the cause is left untreated to strike again later. So a fresh start helps.
But if you choose to go that route, Please Check in to be SURE about your back ups so that you have a smooth lossless experience.

#29 2020-02-15 14:44:07

bluecode

Frustrated.

#30 2020-02-15 16:32:25

ToZ
Administrator

Can you post back:

ls -l ~/.config/menus
ls -l ~/.local/share/desktop-directories
env | grep XDG

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#31 2020-02-15 17:14:57

bluecode

ls -l ~/.config/menus
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 nic nic 4096 Dec 12 06:19 applications-merged

ls -l ~/.local/share/desktop-directories
total 16
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nic nic 58 Feb  7 05:47 q4wine-Default-autostart.directory
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nic nic 56 Feb  7 05:47 q4wine-Default.directory
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nic nic 55 Feb  7 05:47 q4wine-Default-import.directory
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nic nic 55 Feb  7 05:47 q4wine-q4wine.directory

env | grep XDG
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-xfce:/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=xfce-
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=xfce
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/nic
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_VTNR=7
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/xfce4:/usr/share/xfce:/home/nic/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop:/usr/share

#32 2020-02-15 19:38:14

ToZ
Administrator

You seem to be using or have used flatpak. Have a read through this thread where flatpak via root messed up a menu. Perhaps its related.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#33 2020-03-24 23:37:25

dr.Bunsen

Hello,
I'm new here. This is my first post.
The command did the trick for me:

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-default-settings

I broke the correct behavior by uninstalling PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) due to some problems with pulseaudio-module-jack, then Ubuntu Studio theme in upper right corner of the login screen was gone and only the Xfce option left.
Reinstalling PulseAudio didn't help. Finally I found this: https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-un … l.deb.html which let me to restore the original settings (actually apt-get command installed the package in version 0.73).
I'm using Ubuntu Studio 19.10.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by dr.Bunsen (2020-03-24 23:54:01)

Board footer