Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 01:20:22

-iak-

Not every tray icon is using the system theme

Hi everybody, I'm using a complete theme (so there are no missing icons) but some icons in the tray area (Clementine, Dropbox and Franz) don't respect the theme. Same thing with the pulseaudio icon. I'm using Debian 10 and Xfce 4.12.5. How do I fix this?

#2 2020-02-09 02:39:22

Aravisian

Re: Not every tray icon is using the system theme

The Easy fix is to right click the item in the tray and select its Properties. From that pop up, you can select the icon and then change it to any icon you want to use.
You can choose from the list it provides, or click "images" and browse to the file you want to use.

The more complex method would be to fix something with the theme. For example, let's say that you have a theme that has icons to size 32px by 32px, but given the size of the panel, size 16px by 16px must be used- it will fallback to the next icon theme. Adding the appropriate icons in the appropriate size folders and then adding that to the "index.theme" file will permanently resolve the issue.

#3 2020-02-09 10:44:34

-iak-

Sorry but there's no such popup when I right click in the tray area items.
This is my "panel" folder's theme, it looks like everything is at its right place to me.

EeMkjh3l.png

The icons size is set to 22px by the tray area's settings

Last edited by -iak- (2020-02-09 11:56:27)

#4 2020-02-09 18:11:20

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

Sorry but there's no such popup when I right click in the tray area items.
This is my "panel" folder's theme, it looks like everything is at its right place to me.

https://imgur.com/EeMkjh3l.png

The icons size is set to 22px by the tray area's settings

Hmmm... applets will not always give the "Properties" value. Launchers, however, do.
Have you restarted the panel since you applied the theme?

xfce4-panel -r

#5 2020-02-09 18:48:20

-iak-

Yes, a lot of times. I tried resizing the icons and setting them back to 22px and now the Clementine's one is the right one. I also restarted the session but nothing changes.

#6 2020-02-09 19:03:30

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

Yes, a lot of times. I tried resizing the icons and setting them back to 22px and now the Clementine's one is the right one. I also restarted the session but nothing changes.

That leaves Franz and uhh... the other one.
To the best of my knowledge, (correct me if I am wrong) but Franz is not a native app, right? Doesn't Franz need another program to make it work?
I would check the program folders of each to check if they contain their icon. If so, you could ensure your icon set matches the icon name or merely replace that icon with your preferred one.

#7 2020-02-09 19:11:46

-iak-

Aravisian wrote:

If so, you could ensure your icon set matches the icon name or merely replace that icon with your preferred one.

I would like to do that but I really don't know what the correct names should be. Franz and Dropbox are not native, but even Pulseaudio icons (both, panel and notifications) are acting weird.

#8 2020-02-09 22:24:02

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

If so, you could ensure your icon set matches the icon name or merely replace that icon with your preferred one.

I would like to do that but I really don't know what the correct names should be. Franz and Dropbox are not native, but even Pulseaudio icons (both, panel and notifications) are acting weird.

If you find the original icons in their folder, they would reveal what the names should be. Then, compare that to the names of the icons that are supposed to represent those apps in your icon set.

#9 2020-02-09 23:14:40

Aravisian

Sorry to double post- but another thought...
I am testing out things on Linux Mint and I noticed some of my icons are not displaying correctly. A quick look-over revealed that the system is using the symbolic icons in those case. These are the ones in the icon folder marked "Scalable."
A quick bit of work with Inkscape had me sorted out in minutes.You may consider posting a screenshot of your trouble-cons and see if we can recognize any of them and help identify.

#10 2020-02-10 00:36:07

ToZ
Administrator

-iak- wrote:

I would like to do that but I really don't know what the correct names should be.

For the pulseaudio plugin, they are:

/* Icons for different volume levels */
static const char *icons[] = {
  "audio-volume-muted-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-low-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-medium-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-high-symbolic",
  NULL
};

Edit: Dropbox icons seem to be stored in the ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-90.4.307/images/hicolor/16x16 folder (the dropbox-lnx.... folder might be different on your system). Changing those and start/stopping the daemon uses the new ones.

Last edited by ToZ (2020-02-10 00:52:26)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#11 2020-02-10 16:40:48

-iak-

Aravisian wrote:

You may consider posting a screenshot of your trouble-cons and see if we can recognize any of them and help identify.

The Clementine's icon was just to be set properly fro the Qt5 settings. Now only the Franz and the Pulseaudio one are to be fixed.

8XnkWyXl.png

#12 2020-02-10 16:43:03

-iak-

ToZ wrote:
-iak- wrote:

I would like to do that but I really don't know what the correct names should be.

For the pulseaudio plugin, they are:

/* Icons for different volume levels */
static const char *icons[] = {
  "audio-volume-muted-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-low-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-medium-symbolic",
  "audio-volume-high-symbolic",
  NULL
};

Edit: Dropbox icons seem to be stored in the ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-90.4.307/images/hicolor/16x16 folder (the dropbox-lnx.... folder might be different on your system). Changing those and start/stopping the daemon uses the new ones.

I fixed the Dropbox one, thank you. The pulse audio icons are named properly. They are svg files, maybe only png(s) are accepted?

#13 2020-02-10 22:47:41

Aravisian

Have you looked in /usr/share/pixmaps folder?
If those icons are not in the frnaz folder or Icons folder...
Also check in ~/.icons for a hicolor icon folder and check all through that.
Then check in /usr/share/icons/hicolor the same way. I am not on my usual XFCE desktop system at the moment to explore on your behalf in order to be more helpful- but those actions would be the ones that I would take at this point.
Hicolor and Pixmaps.
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to answer, .svg or .png are both generally accepted. In cases where a -symbolic- icon is specified, it is usually .svg, however, in your case, the panel is not seeking symbolic icons.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-10 22:51:15)

#14 2020-02-14 00:14:10

-iak-

It seems Franz's tray icon doesn't exist anywhere... In /usr/share/hicolor/apps there's the launcher icon, but that has been substituted with the right one. The problem is the tray icon.

The only icons I found are in /opt/Franz/resources/app.asar.unpacked/assets/images/taskbar/win32/ but I don't think this can help
UyT3NE0l.png

Aravisian wrote:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to answer, .svg or .png are both generally accepted. In cases where a -symbolic- icon is specified, it is usually .svg, however, in your case, the panel is not seeking symbolic icons.

Interesting, how is this possible? Is there a way to fix that?

#15 2020-02-14 01:27:49

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

It seems Franz's tray icon doesn't exist anywhere... In /usr/share/hicolor/apps there's the launcher icon, but that has been substituted with the right one. The problem is the tray icon.

If I can ask, Franz is a windows app- what method are you using to run the app?

-iak- wrote:

Interesting, how is this possible? Is there a way to fix that?

Symbolic icons tend to be grayshade, not colored. I honestly do not think that is a break that needs fixing... Are you asking as you would prefer symbolic icons to be used in the panel? Or was I communicating poorly and gave you the wrong impression?

#16 2020-02-14 12:30:14

-iak-

Aravisian wrote:

There's a .deb file available.

Aravisian wrote:

Symbolic icons tend to be grayshade, not colored. I honestly do not think that is a break that needs fixing... Are you asking as you would prefer symbolic icons to be used in the panel? Or was I communicating poorly and gave you the wrong impression?

These are the icons I would like to use, there's "symbolic" in some of their names, but they are not used anyway.

3k4EVgcl.png

This is my ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css, I hope it can help

pulseaudio-button {
   gtk-icon-style: symbolic;
}

#17 2020-02-14 21:40:06

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

There's a .deb file available.

Great- that may help if I or someone else needs to install Franz to test it. But first:

-iak- wrote:

These are the icons I would like to use, there's "symbolic" in some of their names, but they are not used anyway.

https://imgur.com/3k4EVgcl.png

I downloaded the Deep Suru icon set and took a look at it.
If you navigate to Panel, as you did above, you find the icons- could you please try copying those icons that you want to use Including Their SymLinks (Symlinks have the arrow in a circle on top of them) to the Status folder?
/Abyss-DEEP-Suru/status/22
Then see if that works after refreshing everything.
Those are size 22px, so we may need to resize them if it works...

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-14 21:40:51)

#18 2020-02-15 12:33:55

-iak-

Thank you for your patience. I copied the icons as you told me but nothing changes.

#19 2020-02-15 13:23:40

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

Thank you for your patience. I copied the icons as you told me but nothing changes.

Yes, but you have the icons that you want to use in the right place. Before it can be used for Franz, you must rename them to repesent that app so that the system knows to use them. EDIT: Rename the Symlinks too.
You see, the Deep Suru icons already have the Franz Icons- but you posted an image of the Volume buttons and stated that you want to use those, instead.
The Franz Icons in the panel folder are named:
franz-attention-panel.svg
franz-panel.svg
In Deep Suru folder APPS size 16, you will find one named
franz.svg

For the icons you moved that you would prefer to use, pick out which ones you want to represent franz-attention-panel and rename that one franz-attention-panel.svg and so on.
Once finished you can hit log out and in, refresh your icon cache, restart your panel and Icon theme using Settings-Appearance; whichever method works best for you.
Then check to see that the new icons are present.

EDIT - again- Sorry, I am working and so a bit distracted. I forgot to mention- Once you rename the New Icons, you must remove the old original franz-attention-panel, franz-panel icon, etc. you MAY choose to delete them OR place them in another safe location in case you change your mind and wish to use them later.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-15 13:30:43)

#20 2020-02-15 13:40:42

-iak-

Aravisian wrote:

You see, the Deep Suru icons already have the Franz Icons- but you posted an image of the Volume buttons and stated that you want to use those, instead.

I have a problem with both the Franz and the Pulseaudio icon, I just would like all that the proper icons (already present in the theme) are being used.

Aravisian wrote:

For the icons you moved that you would prefer to use, pick out which ones you want to represent franz-attention-panel and rename that one franz-attention-panel.svg and so on.

So I don't think there's the need to rename them, or I'm missing the point.

Aravisian wrote:

EDIT - again- Sorry, I am working and so a bit distracted.

Once more, thank you for your care.

#21 2020-02-15 21:56:07

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

I have a problem with both the Franz and the Pulseaudio icon, I just would like all that the proper icons (already present in the theme) are being used.

Aravisian wrote:

So I don't think there's the need to rename them, or I'm missing the point.

Aravisian wrote:

EDIT - again- Sorry, I am working and so a bit distracted.

Once more, thank you for your care.

Ah, I misunderstood.
Interestingly, when I tested this by installing Franz- the icons for Franz showed up in my panel just fine. This is how I was able to give you the icon names.
I took a screenshot.
Maybe the download you used was incomplete.
I got the icon set here:
https://store.kde.org/p/1333376/
The locations were in Panel folder and in Apps folder.

#22 2020-02-16 11:31:35

-iak-

Actually both the icon and the desktop were not up to date, I downloaded and installed the one you suggested but the Franz and the Pulseaudio icons are still rioting.

EDIT: are you running Debian and/or Xfce 4.12.5?

Last edited by -iak- (2020-02-16 11:50:33)

#23 2020-02-16 11:55:02

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

Actually both the icon and the desktop were not up to date, I downloaded and installed the one you suggested but the Franz and the Pulseaudio icons are still rioting.

EDIT: are you running Debian and/or Xfce 4.12.5?

XFCE 4.14 on Zorin 15, based on Ubuntu 18.04

#24 2020-02-16 12:14:03

-iak-

That's interesting but I'm somehow sure that the problem could not be in a missing update of Xfce.

#25 2020-02-16 12:27:07

Aravisian

-iak- wrote:

That's interesting but I'm somehow sure that the problem could not be in a missing update of Xfce.

No, I do not think so...
Just to re-cap; Franz and Pulseadio are Both not displaying the wanted icons in panel, right?
I appreciate your patience and don't worry... I have dealt with unruly icons many, many times. It will get solved.

Are you placing a copy of the icons in
/home/USER$/.icons
or in /usr/share/icons
?
Or try BOTH (I usually place my theme and icons in home and in root because some root-run apps will not show the theme unless it is installed in root).

Board footer