Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-16 14:38:44

rharish

No theming for logout menu

The Xfce logout menu in Xfce 4.14 is unthemed. I am referring to the logout menu shown by running:

xfce4-session-logout

My setup:

• Xfce version: 4.14

• xfce4-session version: 4.14.1

• WM: Compiz 0.9.14.1

• GTK3 version: 3.24.13

Unthemed logout menu on the Plata-Noir-Compact GTK theme (and also on other popular GTK themes like Arc and Adapta):
xfce-logout-unthemed

This is how my GTK theme normally looks:
plata-xfce

Last edited by rharish (2020-02-16 14:41:27)

#2 2020-02-16 16:32:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: No theming for logout menu

This was a problem in the past that was supposedly fixed with this commit and included in xfce4-session 4.13.4.

As Arch is running xfce4-session 4.14.1 - it should include the patch. So interesting to see that you have the problem as well. On a fresh reboot, before logging in, can you delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions and see if that helps. If not, then maybe another bug report is in order, if te issue is still out in the wild.

Back when the issue was active, I used the following snippet on ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.xfsm-logout-dialog {
	-gtk-icon-theme: "Vibrancy-Colors-Dark";

min-width: 20px;
 	min-height: 25px;
  	margin-top: 2px;
  	padding-bottom: 3px;
  	padding-left: 6px;
  	padding-right: 6px;
  	color: #eeeeec;
  	background-color: #393f3f;
  	border: 1px solid;
  	border-color: #393f3f;
  	border-radius: 5px;
  	font-size: smaller; 
}

.xfsm-logout-dialog button {
	background-image: none;
  	color: #eeeeec;
  	background-color: #393f3f;
  	border: 1px solid;
  	border-color: #393f3f;
}

...to work around the issue. Naturally, you'll need to replace the icon theme name and change the colours to suit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-02-16 17:25:16

rharish

Deleting ~/.cache/sessions in a TTY just after a fresh boot/reboot and just before login did not work for me, so I might have to file a bug report. Also, I have deselected the "Automatically save session on logout" option in the session manager "Session and Startup", so maybe it might be helping clear the sessions cache anyway.

The GTK3 CSS edit did work though, but only after I rebooted. I'm guessing this is because rebooting would cause xfce4-session to reload the CSS and load my edits. Thanks for the workaround!

On another note, there is another behaviour similar to this, where the panel background isn't themed when the desktop starts on a fresh boot. In this case, I've set up xfce4-session to reload the panel 2 seconds after login, as follows:

/bin/sh -c 'sleep 2 && xfce4-panel -r'

This fixes the issue until the next reboot. Are they related?

Last edited by rharish (2020-02-16 17:44:49)

#4 2020-02-16 18:46:14

ToZ
Administrator

rharish wrote:

Are they related?

I believe so, yes. This is exactly what was happening prior to the fix mentioned above. Is there something different or unique about your system that the commit hasn't worked (used AUR Xfce packages, special drivers, etc). One of the posters in the bug report is a Manjaro developer and as you can see, they had a series of scripts that ran on startup to fix the issue before the commit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-02-17 05:24:37

rharish

Solved! Thanks a lot ToZ! This is yet another of my problems that you've helped solve.

I was using Xfce from Arch's default packages. The only non-standard setup was that I was using Compiz 0.9 instead of xfwm4. The fix solved the following three problems I've been having:

1. Unthemed logout menu

2. Unthemed panel background at startup

3. Slow startup of Xfce

I took the fix from this post on the Manjaro forums. The fix is as follows:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -p /sessions/Failsafe/Client0_Command -a -s xfsettingsd
xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -p /sessions/Failsafe/Client1_Command -a -s compiz

The explanation given was that xfsettings must be started before a custom WM like compiz.

Last edited by rharish (2020-02-17 07:07:28)

Board footer