Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-24 15:39:37

pavloskiv

Right click on whiskermenu icon issues.

I'm running Xubuntu 18.04.4, some days ago I update then upgrade my system, now when I right click on whiskermenu icon the context menu doesn't show anymore the options to edit opacity and so on. Now only shows one option: Panel --> Logout / Help / About.
What's going on ?? (it works without issues, only right click has these issues).
Appreciate some help.
(xfce-4.14)

#2 2020-02-28 08:10:22

Aravisian

Re: Right click on whiskermenu icon issues.

pavloskiv wrote:

I'm running Xubuntu 18.04.4, some days ago I update then upgrade my system, now when I right click on whiskermenu icon the context menu doesn't show anymore the options to edit opacity and so on. Now only shows one option: Panel --> Logout / Help / About.
What's going on ?? (it works without issues, only right click has these issues).
Appreciate some help.
(xfce-4.14)

Could you post a screenshot of your open menu?

#3 2020-02-28 17:32:31

pavloskiv

I'm sorry, how to upload an image?? I couldn't understand the image tag. Would be easier drag and drop an image here in this box.

#4 2020-02-28 17:52:33

Aravisian

pavloskiv wrote:

I'm sorry, how to upload an image?? I couldn't understand the image tag. Would be easier drag and drop an image here in this box.

You are not alone in struggling to figure that one out... My solution was that I created an imgur account to do it and I have not been spammed or harassed by imgur at all since I did so.
Others use dropbox, there are many choices for image hosting.

#5 2020-02-28 22:36:13

pavloskiv

ok, I posted the screenshot in imgur, now how you can see that?
https://imgur.com/4S6ULCl (my image link)

Last edited by pavloskiv (2020-02-28 22:38:35)

#6 2020-02-28 23:07:59

Aravisian

pavloskiv wrote:

ok, I posted the screenshot in imgur, now how you can see that?
https://imgur.com/4S6ULCl (my image link)

Yes, I can see it. That is indeed the Whiskermenu. The image really helped tell the story.
It may be that when you ran the update, the update ran out of room to write all the changes. You will want to clean your system. You can use a cleaning tool like Ubuntu-Cleaner if you are using Ubuntu or a derivative. You can use

sudo apt clean

and also clean out your Root Cache, too.
You can remove your ~/.cache folder from HOME and reboot. WARNING: If you use xfce4-panel-switch, that is also stored in cache. So you MAY want to either set that folder aside or ensure you do a save of xfce4-panel configuration after following these steps.!

Once you have cleaned house, please run your updater again:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-28 23:10:59)

#7 2020-02-29 17:05:30

pavloskiv

I did the suggestions but NO effect, the same as before.

#8 2020-03-01 00:46:48

Aravisian

pavloskiv wrote:

I did the suggestions but NO effect, the same as before.

I would check your home config folder
~/.config/xfce4/panel
You should see whiskermenu resource files that look like:
whiskermenu-1.rc
whiskermenu-17.rc
However many you have: Move them to trash
Remove whiskermenu in Terminal with

sudo apt-get remove xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Reinstall

sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Reboot

Please update

#9 2020-03-01 08:11:24

pavloskiv

No way, it's not working, I had only one resource file (whiskermenu-1.rc), I have searched on my system if there any other whiskermenu.rc hidden but I couldn't find any other. Listen, I have so many issues after upgrading Xubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, I couldn't expected that, what's going on with Ubuntu staff?? each upgrade --> NEW SURPRISES.

#10 2020-03-01 09:44:27

Aravisian

pavloskiv wrote:

No way, it's not working, I had only one resource file (whiskermenu-1.rc), I have searched on my system if there any other whiskermenu.rc hidden but I couldn't find any other. Listen, I have so many issues after upgrading Xubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, I couldn't expected that, what's going on with Ubuntu staff?? each upgrade --> NEW SURPRISES.

Ah, I see... You did a Direct Upgrade. I do know that several Ubuntu-based distros were planning to offer including direct-upgrade in their packages but have been unable to incorporate it without issues arising.
I have had what happened to you with the Whiskermenu happen to me, as well. Reinstalling it had fixed it. Another user fixed it by removing his cache and config folders entirely.
But other than that, I do not know and searching the web has yielded little. It is conceivable that your configs would interfere with numerous processes.
From 16.04, you would have Whiskermenu 1.5 and it works just fine on Xubuntu 18.04 as well as 16.04. It may be that it tried to upgrade Whisker1.5 to the Bionic Package Whisker 2.1 and things got tangled up- but reinstalling it should have resolved that.

There really are Two Major Points for you to consider, here:
1. Would Xubuntu 16.04 or Xubuntu 18.04 serve your needs better
2. Is it worth trying to repair and waiting for the next ghost in the machine?

I used Xubuntu 18.04 for some heavy testing and it was quite stable over-all but I installed it, I did not do the direct upgrade.
You might consider grabbing an external or cloud drive and going into your home folder and compressing the following files:
All your visible Files, one at a time. Then, under Hidden Files (For the ones you use):
Software you installed like .conky, .mozzilla (To keep your bookmarks, saved logins, etc.), .gconf, .icons, .themes, .thunderbird, .bash-history, .gtkrc-2.0, .profile
Ignore the following and do not bother backing up:
.thumbnails, .config, .cache, .dbus, .local, .thumbnails
And there is your backup. I do the above about once a week, just in case I release the zombie virus on my computer.
Then, install a fresh installation directly instead of doing the Upgrade To- to prevent conflicts between the older system and the new since there are many changes between them and get a Fresh Clean start. You would need to reinstall programs that went into Root- if you remember which ones right away like Synaptic, you can do it right away. If not, do not worry too much; when you need it, you will remember and can just install it then.
IF you have anything that is deprecated or was particularly difficult to install and configure, that may be a problem. Ask if you have doubts.
The above is what I would do, if it was me.

I am sorry I was not very helpful.

#11 2020-03-02 11:37:54

pavloskiv

@Aravisian Thanks, good recommendations, I'll try, first backup important files/folders then I'll think what to do next (install from scratch or some thing else)

#12 2020-03-02 19:57:33

MrEen

On Mint, we've had people (myself included) that on a rare occasion have the Whisker Menu revert to the original Xfce version instead of the Mint custom one. I was still new enough that I didn't know what/where to investigate, so I just reloaded my backups.

I noticed in your screenshot that you also don't have Panel Preferences available when right clicking on the icon, which I would think should be there as well.

Before installing from scratch, but when you're ready to do so, you might want to try this command that resets everything panel-wise to defaults:

xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel

Again, that's the Mint way. I can't say for sure Xubuntu would be the same. On Mint, the default file for the menu is at /usr/share/mint-configuration-xfce/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-1.rc on my 18.3 install and /usr/share/mint-artwork/xfce/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-1.rc on my 19.3 VM install.

Additionally, you might want to check for permissions issues. The following command is what I use to find and repair any files/folders in my home directory that are not owned by me:

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME

Be certain you're not in a root terminal when running that.

#13 2020-03-03 18:30:10

pavloskiv

@MrEen GOOD NEWS, thanks, I tried your suggestions and whiskermenu right click now behaves normally.
https://imgur.com/a/ELIF1gP (link to last screenshot), can you see that?

#14 2020-03-03 21:12:32

MrEen

Ahh, that's great! Now it looks normal. smile

Board footer