Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-18 14:44:23

NemKo

Dockbarx remove panel dock shadow

Hi, I'm using this dock dockbarx to matching the look of mac os dock, but I can't get the shadow around the dock disabled.
I have similar problem as this post: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9624
pic1
pic2

I want to disable the shadow only for dockbarx, previous post:

ToZ wrote:

Yes, but it in a roundabout way.
Run the command (you need to have wmctrl installed):

wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b toggle,below

...and the mouse pointer will turn into a cross. Click anywhere on the the dockbar.
Then disable and re-enable the shadows again. I'm not sure why this works, I stumbled upon it a while ago.

To automate it a bit, create the following script:

#!/bin/bash
wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b toggle,below
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/show_dock_shadow -s false
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/show_dock_shadow -s true

...make the script executable and assign it to a shortcut key. (still need to click on the dock though)

I tried the follow instruction above but it doesn't work anymore, using executable script - select dockbarx and go to Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Compositor >> (uncheck) too not working, how can I disable shadow only for dockbarx xfce 4.14?

#2 2020-03-18 16:07:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Dockbarx remove panel dock shadow

That doesn't work anymore. Try changing the dockx window's type to "Normal" via the following:

xprop -format _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE 32a -set _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL

...then click on it when the cross appears.

To automate it, you can use devilspie to set the windowtype of an application:

( if
	( is ( application_name ) "dockx" )
	( wintype "normal" )
)

Last edited by ToZ (2020-03-18 17:38:50)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-03-19 09:31:28

NemKo

Thanks, using automate devilspie at login it's working fine now but I'm have one little problem, my dock is running fine if put on bottom but if turn to left side the dock will suddenly padding few px away to left.
apic

ToZ wrote:

That doesn't work anymore. Try changing the dockx window's type to "Normal" via the following:

xprop -format _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE 32a -set _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL

The shadow is removed and put left position is fine but if i doing something like - right click on "xfce panel" setting opens up, dockbarx just suddenly move away abit.
maybe this is cause by me using 1 xfce panel under and second panel dockbarx panel on top.

my only solution is click dockbarx ( setting -> panel: bottom -> panel: left again ) the dock will run inside the xfce panel.
any better way how to fix this?

#4 2020-03-19 10:35:27

ToZ
Administrator

There is no real way within Xfce to disable the shadow for only one dock. It's all or nothing. The workaround above simply changes the window type away from dock. There are bound to be some issues when you do this (in this case, it starts to act like a real window).

That being said, if you are trying to make the dockbar look like it's inside the panel, install the dockbarx panel plugin and add it to the xfce4-panel. It will embed the dock within the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-03-19 12:47:01

NemKo

Thanks looking great now, but i have final question for this, I Installed xfce4-dockbarx-plugin, It doesn't comes with offset toggle options sad

plugin

css testing not found:

#xfce4-dockbarx-plugin-button, #xfce4-dockbarx-plugin button,#xfce4-dockbarx-plugin image { background:red; margin-bottom: 12px;}

is there anyway to tweak the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin via css? I wish I could toggle up the dockbarx just a little more. Thanks!!

#6 2020-03-19 14:26:32

ToZ
Administrator

What do you mean by "offset toggle options" and "toggle up"? What are you trying to accomplish?

Edit: Also, are you using the gtk2 or gtk3 build of dockbarx and the plugin?

Last edited by ToZ (2020-03-19 14:54:28)

#7 2020-03-19 15:33:05

NemKo

ToZ wrote:

What do you mean by "offset toggle options" and "toggle up"? What are you trying to accomplish?

Edit: Also, are you using the gtk2 or gtk3 build of dockbarx and the plugin?

I need to use offset option for xfce4-dockbarx-plugin but It is missing, only the default dockbarx has the option.
dx

I'm not sure which dockbarx gtk build, I installed both from github , M7S. https://github.com/M7S/dockbarx

ToZ wrote:

install the dockbarx panel plugin and add it to the xfce4-panel. It will embed the dock within the panel.

My xfce-dockbarx-plugin is working, only problem is it adding it to xfce4-panel and it's permanent the offset can't be changed, I can't offset up or down.

I was thinking adding this line to /usr/share/themes/gtk.css :

#xfce4-dockbarx-plugin {
margin-top:12px;
}

and it din't work. I guess maybe it is permanent and it's okay thanks though. smile

Last edited by NemKo (2020-03-19 15:41:05)

#8 2020-03-19 16:42:21

ToZ
Administrator

I would guess that the reason the plugin doesn't have the offset value is that it would need to exist within the confines of the panel. You might be able to move it about, but it could never extend out beyond the boundaries of the panel.

As for the snippet that you are trying to use, that snippet will only work if you are using the gtk3 version of the plugin. Which packages did you install?

#9 2020-03-19 18:03:31

NemKo

I just uninstall my version I found the gtk3 version smile I now finish installed gtk3 version of dockx it took awhile, so now how can I change the offset, using css gtk?

edit: i found it! not sure the full name, set css this?

Xfce4PanelDockBarX

also one question, I have notice for sometimes now xfce4-dockbarx-plugin themes look abit different than the other ones, the theme look abit blurry.

Last edited by NemKo (2020-03-19 18:32:48)

#10 2020-03-19 19:05:01

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, it looks like it is. Try something like:

#Xfce4PanelDockBarX box { margin-right: 4;  }

...to see an effect.

#11 2020-03-19 19:11:37

NemKo

ToZ wrote:

Yes, it looks like it is. Try something like:

...to see an effect.

thanks finally just add "box",

I can adjust it now. smile

Last edited by NemKo (2020-03-19 19:11:51)

#12 2020-03-19 21:15:35

NemKo

By using the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin the dockbarx theme is kinda dim not like the original one, I look for the fix and only got one answer which is edit the /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packagesdockbarx/iconfactory.py, what i mean by dim is the theme doesn't look the same it's running darker i don't know why. maybe it's my theme problem. I'll read more and post my solutions smile.

Board footer