Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-01 22:52:06

gena2x

Hello and thanks xfce!

Hi all, I am Gennady - software developer living in London, originally from Saint-Petersburg.

Huge thanks for the new release - I just tried hidpi and finally, after many years I can use my hidpi monitor in Linux. Everything seems to be just working and looks perfect. And last time I had similar feelings than I bought my first good car ten years ago - big smile on the face!

My personal story with hidpi is that back in 2016 bought good notebook with nice 4k screen and though yeah - that should be nice only to find out that it doesn't work well (I spend few days diving into problems, possible solutions and state or different toolkits). It became clear that choice is either half of the apps would not work and I have to use inconvenient DEs like plasma or gnome where is it hard to do things which I used to do in easy way for many years (like managing multiple windows in same time). I gave up later and set my panel to 1080p and was pretty happy with it - it is fast and everything just worked. Tried to revisit this few times after that without much success.

And you can imagine my happiness than I found that hidpi works very well in my favorite DE. Thanks to xfce team and everybody who supports them! Hope to find a time and send some patches to fix minor stuff.

Your user.

#2 2020-05-12 14:44:45

hygy

Re: Hello and thanks xfce!

How do you set this to work? I just installed a xubuntu 20.04. (15.6" 3840x2160px) After installation I set the dpi to 250. But the mouse is small, the start menu is small, window icons small. (I set the default-xhdpi in window manager themes too.)

gena2x wrote:

Hi all, I am Gennady - software developer living in London, originally from Saint-Petersburg.

Huge thanks for the new release - I just tried hidpi and finally, after many years I can use my hidpi monitor in Linux. Everything seems to be just working and looks perfect. And last time I had similar feelings than I bought my first good car ten years ago - big smile on the face!

My personal story with hidpi is that back in 2016 bought good notebook with nice 4k screen and though yeah - that should be nice only to find out that it doesn't work well (I spend few days diving into problems, possible solutions and state or different toolkits). It became clear that choice is either half of the apps would not work and I have to use inconvenient DEs like plasma or gnome where is it hard to do things which I used to do in easy way for many years (like managing multiple windows in same time). I gave up later and set my panel to 1080p and was pretty happy with it - it is fast and everything just worked. Tried to revisit this few times after that without much success.

And you can imagine my happiness than I found that hidpi works very well in my favorite DE. Thanks to xfce team and everybody who supports them! Hope to find a time and send some patches to fix minor stuff.

Your user.

#3 2020-05-12 19:32:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hello and thanks xfce!

hygy wrote:

How do you set this to work? I just installed a xubuntu 20.04. (15.6" 3840x2160px) After installation I set the dpi to 250. But the mouse is small, the start menu is small, window icons small. (I set the default-xhdpi in window manager themes too.)

gena2x wrote:

Your user.

Did you try setting "Windows Scaling" to "2x" in Appearance > Settings? This will double the size of all GTK3 ui elements. You'll still need to properly/manually deal with GTK2/QT sizing, Window Manager, mouse cursor...

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer