Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-21 02:52:16

blue.rabbit

MIME Type Editor entry discrepancies

I recently installed Linux Mint 19.3 with XFCE and I've had a couple problems with MIME types and the editor:

1. Some MIME types were not set to exo-web-browser (application/xhtml+xml, text/html, x-scheme-handler/http, x-scheme-handler/https), which was causing Flatpak apps to open Firefox instead of my default browser (Vivaldi). Is this an XFCE thing, or should I report this to the distribution?

2. MIME Type Editor doesn't show x-scheme-handler entries. Is this intentional? If it is, which would be the preferred way of setting entries of this type? I think it would be ideal for them to show up here, especially since there doesn't seem to be a way of figuring out that they exist in the first place without poking around obscure files that you wouldn't know about unless you're really familiar with gnome (/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache).
Should this be reported as a bug?

3. Most baffling, I have a lot of entries in the MIME Type Editor that are directly associated to Vivaldi. See:

Screenshot-2020-05-20-21-48-54.png

The strange thing is that I cannot find these associations anywhere in my system. I've tried:

locate mimeinfo.cache | xargs grep 'gml+xml'
locate mimeapps.list | xargs grep 'gml+xml'
locate defaults.list | xargs grep 'gml+xml'
locate xfce-mimeapps.list | xargs grep 'gml+xml'
find /usr/share/applications/ -name "*.desktop" | xargs grep 'gml+xml'
find ~/.local/share/applications/ -name "*.desktop" | xargs grep 'gml+xml'

to no avail. The reason I want to figure out where they are stored is so that I can change them all with a script, since the editor doesn't allow changing more than one entry at at time. At this point I'm just curious so I just wanted to ask if anyone knows.

#2 2020-05-21 03:28:17

eriefisher

Re: MIME Type Editor entry discrepancies

I believe the editor since it's in the normal user space under X it would determine user preferences. The way to do it system wide a base level would be to use update-alternatives or galternatives as the root user. Anything that can be done by a normal user is for that user. A second or third user would not see those changes.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-05-21 19:03:31

MrEen

Regarding your Vivaldi entries, this can be found by looking at:

cat /usr/share/applications/vivaldi-stable.desktop

At least that's the path/filename on my system. You'll see about half way through the output there a MimeType= line.

#4 2020-05-22 00:26:45

ToZ
Administrator

Just a quick note that xfce4-mime helper will use gio if available.

$ gio mime application/gml+xml
Default application for “application/gml+xml”: mousepad.desktop
Registered applications:
	mousepad.desktop
	gvim.desktop
	chromium.desktop
	firefox.desktop
	texteditor.desktop
	engrampa.desktop
	libreoffice-writer.desktop
	visual-studio-code.desktop
	vim.desktop
No recommended applications

Gio will use existing mime definitions but also has this weird "guess" function - no real documentation on how this works that I can find.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer