Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-04 15:17:52

jesus2099

Thunar issues with NFS mounts (2)

Hello,

I am evaluating Debian XFCE (v10, I think) with a live USB key.
The only missing stuff that I didn't really made to work is the mount of my Synology DS213+ shares.

I have the choice between CIFS and NFS.
I mounted and tested with both types to compare performance.
In CIFS, every features are working but in NFS, performance seems really better (like at least 3 times faster on small files), BUT all features are NOT working.

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=<username>,uid=1000,gid=1000 //192.168.0.12/share /media/syno/cifs
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.12:/volume1/share /media/syno/nfs

I mount to /media/ so that it appears in Thunar directly in sidebar (as removable media does).
I don't need -o rw as I tested both, same result, it's the default mode.

The 2 issues I have with my NFS share:

Thunar is readonly in share root

I can do:

touch /media/syno/nfs/toto
rm /media/syno/nfs/toto
mkdir /media/syno/nfs/toto
rmdir /media/syno/nfs/toto

But those operations and rename, anything, nothing works in Thunar at share root (/media/syno/nfs).
They are only possible in sub-folders.
I do use the same user in terminal and in Thunar, so it's not an issue with access rights (which were already a headache to setup).

I didn't find this bug: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/bugs? … =nfs+write

Thunar is not moving NFS deleted files in .Trash

Both Thunar .Trash folder and Synology's own #recycle bin folder work with CIFS.

Synology's #recycle (which is great because it works for ANY delete including terminal, not only Thunar) only works in CIFS (I reported that but they told me there is no chance that they add their great #recycle feature to NFS if no one else asks for it).

But files deleted on the NFS share by Thunar, are not saved in any .Trash folder, they are just deleted completely.

Didn't find this bug: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/bugs? … =trash+nfs

Last edited by jesus2099 (2020-05-04 16:59:20)

#2 2020-05-22 19:47:53

jesus2099

Re: Thunar issues with NFS mounts (2)

I confirm both problems with the real installation of Debian XFCE.

I did a

sudo mount 192.168.0.77:/volume1/tristan /media/bob

mount that is usable but:

Thunar is readonly in share root

Thunar v1.8.4 right click new folder/document, paste, delete, rename are greyed out in /media/bob/ root (OK in subfolders) although I do have rights to touch /media/bob/testfile or mkdir /media/bob/testfolder or mv OK.

How can Thunar imagine different access rights than the Terminal?

Thunar is not moving NFS deleted files in .Trash

This is very scary, I am not serious or stable person enough to use my precious data hard discs without any trash bins.

I hope someone here uses Thunar and NFS mounts.
I will now try with fstab mounts but I fear it will be the same...

Last edited by jesus2099 (2020-05-22 19:48:38)

#3 2020-05-22 22:32:50

eriefisher

You have a permission issue because you mounted as sudo. The normal user does not have permission to create/write.
In the Thunar address bar try to connect to the remote share. nfs://path/to/share or smb://path/to/share. You should be prompted for credentials.

I don't have either nfs or smb share so I've never tested it but Thunar is capable of connecting to remote shares.

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/4.14/ … lesystem?s[]=thunar&s[]=smb

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#4 2020-05-23 07:32:30

jesus2099

Thanks Erie, I will try both fstab and this way.
But you understand why I can do (without sudo) file operations in the Terminal (touch, CP, mv, RM, rmdir) that I cannot do in Thunar?

#5 2020-05-23 09:20:54

jesus2099

I tried nfs:// syntax.

With that I could right-click create test files in root but it is very unstable (path to this temporary mount is very long and variable, Thunar often crashes during the browse in and out of it, Tumbler does not process thumbnails, default actions become web browser instead of applications, too many issues and still no trash bin).

I also tried fstab and the result is the same as mount, describe in earlier posts.

I'm surprised there is no bug ticket yet, would that mean that using NFS mounts is rare...

I don't really know where to start for bugs.

There is Bugzilla and Gitlab?

There are trash bin bug and topmost folder access permissions problems:
Trash bin bug may be GVFS?
Topmost access permissions bug is Thunar specific (as everything works in Terminal).

#6 2020-05-23 11:27:45

eriefisher

You could also try gigolo. A graphical application that uses gvfs and fuse to mount folders local and remote.

If it's truly a bug then at the top right of the page is a link to Bugs.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#7 2020-05-23 11:55:07

ToZ
Administrator

I tried nfs:// syntax.

Gio/GVFs doesn't support nfs.

I just threw together a quick nfs test between my system and a VM nfs server. As @eriefisher notes, with the correct permissions, I can read/write fine. Thunar works okay as well, but I am using the latest version 1.8.13. Trash bin works fine as well.

I did find one weirdness though. When I first mount the export, thunar doesn't see it as readable. I had to restart thunar for it to be accessible. 
Edit: Here is an old bug that I created related to this - though I was experiencing it through autofs back then.

There were a couple of possibly related bugs that were fixed in thunar versions later than you are running
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14718 - fixed in 1.8.5
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15367 - fixed in 1.8.7

Are you able to upgrade the version of thunar to test?

I don't really know where to start for bugs.

There is Bugzilla and Gitlab?

The migration from bugzilla bugs to gitlab issues has begun, but thunar hasn't yet been migrated.

Last edited by ToZ (2020-05-23 12:00:57)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2020-05-24 12:27:42

jesus2099

Wow, thank you very much!
So there is hope, I just need to wait for a new Thunar version in Debian Xfce.
In the meantime, I will use my shares in CIFS mode. Less performant but still better than nothing, when I wait for the new version.
Thank you very much ToZ!

Thank you eriefisher, but when I tried gigolo as part of my struggle to make my mounts work, it did not work any better (if it's a Thunar issue, it's normal, in fact).

Board footer